Problem with file extensions

Discussion in 'Software' started by saraigift, Jul 21, 2004.

1. saraigift

saraigift Private E-2

I tried to link a file with the IRC program I run it with. Now when I try to load the file it just opens up a new IRC window. I forgot to uncheck the "open with this program always" box and now it is stuck. I need to revert it to "unkown application" Is there any way to do this? I have tried unloading and reloading the program, but it is stuck with all .mrc files opening with mIRC. Please help. Thanks.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

What OS are you using?

Have you tried "Open with... other program" and then checking the "always open with this application" to notepad?

Are you comfortable with editing the registry?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Something for you to try........

I take it you know the exact file extention thats use for this file?

if yes then in any folder click > Tools > Folder Options > Files Types > find the file type you need to change > click it once and you should see two options Change & Restore > Click Restore and see if that changes it back

( I know this method has worked for me, when I allocated the wrong app to a file )

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Halo, Any way to stop the bl**dy ticked box coming up in the first place. Can it be altered to always be a blank check box, as default. I'm using W98SE. I guess all users would be interested in this, no matter what M$ OS they are using. Can the Registry be edited, I guess, is what I am asking? Bazza

====

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I guess what your getting at Bazza is you want none of the files to be assigned or the box to be blank perminently?

I will try stuff out and see what I come up with.... using XP Pro tho but those file associations should be similar I guess.

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Halo, that's what I want (box to be blank permanently--so you can't stuff up, by assigning the wrong choice permanently). I hate terrorist programmers that insist on their defaults, in any program, and won't let the users override them. Like boxes you can't maximise, etc. Bazza

=====

7. saraigift

saraigift Private E-2

I had tried to change it to notepad, but then it was stuck on notepad. I tried to restore it, but then it just went back to what it was before notepad. There is an option in there to delete the registered filetype. Would that change it to unkown program, or would that screw something up? I am running XP Home. Thanks for all your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds