outlook express 6 no spell check?

Discussion in 'Software' started by schryerc001@hawaii.rr.com, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Hi first time user & not very knowledgeable computer user, sorry.
    I was going to download spell.exe from Vampirefo dated 2/12/03, since my Outlook Express 6 won't spell check (the icon is there, I just cannot make it "live").
    A couple concerns:
    1) I note that the download speaks of OE 2.1. Is it still good for use with OE 6?
    2) As part of the download process, it gets to a point where it says, "One or more files are write-protected. Do you want to overwrite them anyway?" I don't know if I should do that or not? Might it destroy something I need?

Any help will be Greatly Appreciated since Compaq wants to try & fix it by reinstalling OE6 (thereby losing all my emails & addresses) & Microsoft says it is Compaq's fault/problem.

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Hi,

Outlook Express only has the spell check option if you have an Office program such as Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint installed and have installed the spell checker.

It's possible to reinstall Outlook Express without losing everything but you need to back up everything first. However, there isn't any point going through that if you don't have an Office program installed with a spell checker, only if the spell checker really should be there. If that's the case, these links tell you what you need to know to back up everything first and then reinstall and restore all your emails and files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188093/

Note that you may have to get into the registry if you have more than one account to back up. This may be something that you'd be better getting someone to help with if you don't know a lot about computers, just to be on the safe side.

I haven't heard of the program you mention but I went looking for it and found out that your concern in point 1 isn't a worry, just confusion. The name of the program and version is "Spell Checker for OE, version 2.1" - the version of spell.exe is 2.1 and it's suitable for OE6. (Quote from the website: "2.1 is to be used on OutLook Express 5.0 - 6.xx All versions of OE 6 are supported, some early versions of 5.0 are not supported. If you are having problems, update your browser to OE 6." http://www.geocities.com/vampirefo/)

As for overwriting files, I would be wary of letting that happen. I'm just about to try an install and I'll let you know how I get on.

:)

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Sounds like you already have a file by the same name on your system. Try downloading to a different area.

Ahh, classic ping pong. rolleyes Search for the spell.exe file on your computer first and see what it is first before overwriting it. I've been using this for quite a while with OE and it works like a charm. Hope that helps.

4. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Well, it just installed without any complaints... took about 20 seconds, no kidding.

I didn't take it in properly; you said that it's talking about overwriting files during the download process. Are you trying to install it straight off the internet or download and then install it? It's best to download it to a folder and then install it so try again, and I agree with augiedoggie, try downloading it to another location - a new folder created specially shouldn't cause any messages about overwriting.

Post back again if you still have problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds