copy/paste from dos 2 word/excel ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by byrophyte, Jun 22, 2005.

1. byrophyte

byrophyte Private E-2

I have a MS-DOS aplication generates data about past horse races. I want to copy from the app into excel and cant do it. The app output has the appearance of spreadsheet, ie. column x row .. but appears even worse than this see below in word, excel recognizes each row but no columns. I really dont want manually input. Is there a fix? I have spent considerable time trying to format after in word but have been unsuccessful. I looked for converting utility, but am running win98 which is apparently as good as it gets. Can anyone help?

-+-----------+---+--------+------+------+-----+------+------+------+-- 1 BACKS2 ¦ 82¦169.31-3¦77.1-5¦56.7-2¦ 68.7¦95.2-3¦84.6-4¦91.1-4¦ 7¦PRE¦
    -+-----------+---+--------+------+------+-----+------+------+------+---+---¦
    3¦ 1 BACKS3 ¦ 74¦167.72-6¦72.3-9¦55.7-7¦*70.1¦95.1-4¦83.2-8¦90.3-8¦ 12¦EAR¦
    -+-----------+---+--------+------+------+-----+------+------+------+---

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Can this dos program save results? What about print them?

3. byrophyte

byrophyte Private E-2

print yes (toggle for epson compatable or not)

Save part: Yes. but as an .exe file that the app reads.

4. byrophyte

byrophyte Private E-2

Additionally there are files .dbf created for each collection of races once the app has run. One must download raw data that the app uses.
    Further there are .txt files (very few) . When I attempt to open the message is that they are not assoc. with any program and cant be opened.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

don't count on it, but you can open notepad, then click and drag those files directory into notepad.

Or from the command prompt:

notepad filename.ext (this will open the file directly in notepad)

the .dbf files are data base files, which you <i>may</i> be able to open in access (doubtful).

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

What program and what version is the old DOS program?
    Have you tried a google search using keywords of xxxxxx.xxx (program name) and "convert"?
    Bazza

7. byrophyte

byrophyte Private E-2

I run w98SE 4.10.2222A. I am unclear about which version of DOS this ought to have.

I have three versions of the program named synthesis or validator.

Val2.exe, synt.exe, smt.exe

I jsut did the search as you suggested and didnt find anything.

Thanks very much for your help. Both Bazza and Fool.

Byro

8. bigbazza

43 links on google about "dbf file" & "convert". Maybe also try "dbf file" on its' own, without convert for a hell of a lot more hits, I reckon.

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=20&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=convert+dbf+file&as_oq=dos&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

May help, then again, may not. Check them out.
    Do you have any choice in your program as to what format you can save results in?

*.dbf files should be OK to import into various spreadsheets but can you save the in csx, comma delimited files, or anything else? Bazza

9. byrophyte

byrophyte Private E-2

There is no "save" . (dont ask me) One can only open file that contains one days races then toggle through the various results screens.

I will do as you have suggested. Thanks.

byro

10. bigbazza

What are the full names and versions of the programs?

A search on google for " validator" and "DOS" gives somes DOS(?) programs, eg Validator 2.5. Scroll down the results to find that link. How big are the files that you are trying to convert? If they are not too big, maybe we can figure out a way to examine them. Bazza
    ===

11. byrophyte

byrophyte Private E-2

I did find a utility to open .dbf files, and present in spreadsheet form. Unfortunately, these files contain the raw data that the program uses to manufacture the figures which I want. In order to see these result figures, I must open the program (Val2.exe), and then copy one column at a time. Oh well. The audience for these programs (and especially this one) is pretty small so..... I did actually find the author's email through a support forum, and he offered no solution (for reasons not really relevant here) but did suggest I buy the new program he has written, once again in clunky DOS (whaaat???!)

Any way the numbers I want then must be in the .exe files, which so far I cant see without using the program to open. The properties tell me that the date.exe (where I believe the results are) contain @10 files each total size ranges 150-225Kb. I wont hold my breath. Thanks again.
    Byro

12. bigbazza

Byron, I assume that the file date.exe maybe called data.exe (typo?), not that it matters.

If it is an *.exe file and contains 10 other files, it may be a self-extracting zipped file.

Make a copy of it, and call it date2.exe (or something) and shift it across to MyDocuments, or somewhere away from your DOS program. Maybe get into Windows and try doubleclicking on the new file, it might self extract to something you can use/import into Excel or Access, or something else.

All care but no responsibity for this suggestion, however, as there are no guarantees. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds