Realtek HD Audio - No Sound

Discussion in 'Software' started by ShirtTales, Sep 6, 2008.

1. ShirtTales

ShirtTales Private E-2

Greetings :)
    I recently reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition on my computer. Prior to this install everything was working properly. After installation, however, I seem to have no audio. I installed the audio driver from the CD that came with the MB and rebooted at the prompt. I did have audio when the computer powered off and again after powering on. A Realtek Audio bar appeared and was updating something. When it completed, it prompted for me to reboot again. I have had no audio since. The device manager has no ?'s or x's and says that the device is working properly. I have tried downloading and installing the updated driver from the MB site, but still have had no luck. I have an Abit IL8 MB with an onboard sound card. Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    Try this: go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the current sound driver. Check the motherboard CD for the chipset drivers and install them. If you know for sure that you have already installed them, then you can probably skip this step, but installing them again won't hurt. Then use this link to download the RealTek HD audio driver. Then click this link and scroll down to KB888111 and click the green 'Download' on the right. Then install the KB888111.exe file you just downloaded. If prompted to, restart the PC. Then install the audio driver you downloaded and reboot when prompted. That should do it! Let us know how it goes! ;)

3. ShirtTales

ShirtTales Private E-2

Thanks for the quick response. I have gotten to the point where I need to download the KB888111 file but the download link on the right side keeps giving me a 404 file not found error.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused You're right... they changed the site so you can't actually download the files by connecting to the site the way I linked you to it. Sorry. It used to work a few days ago. That is the download page for a hotfix forum and it appears they changed it so you have to log in to the main site first, then go to the downloads page from their forums. Again, I apologize. :eek: Luckily, muskie came to the rescue! :clap

(thanks musksnipe! I'm gonna steal your link and add it to my collection of handy links; it will be replacing my no-longer-working link ;) )

6. ShirtTales

ShirtTales Private E-2

Immediately after I installed the KB888111.exe file, I had audio. I was not prompted to reboot, so I proceeded to install the WDM_R201 driver. Since I had no audio again, I went to Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled the driver. I rebooted but still had no audio, so I installed the KB888111.exe file again. I now have audio once again. I've tried several programs and the audio seems to be working properly with all of them. May I leave it like this or is it necessary for me to install an audio driver?
    I'm not sure if this next question belongs in this thread/forum but I was wondering what the proper steps are for a fresh install of a new OS? Basically I want to know which order to install which drivers and run MS updates, if there is a specific order.

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

There must be an audio driver already installed.
    You can find out by looking in Device Manager>Sound, Video, and Game Controllers.

If you have sound and are happy, leave it as is.
    But I would restart your PC, just to make sure the sound is going to stick.

No problem, dlb. If you need anything I posted, take it.
    BTW The Thanks button DOES work. LOL

8. ShirtTales

ShirtTales Private E-2

You were right. There is a Legacy Audio Driver already installed.

After rebooting, I am happy to say that I still have audio :dancer

Many thanks to dlb and musksnipe for restoring my audio and resolving my issue :clap

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds