XP Backup utility fails

Discussion in 'Software' started by JohnSais, Nov 11, 2008.

1. JohnSais

JohnSais Private E-2

Hello
    I have been having problems backing up my system using Windows Backup. This seems to have been going on for some time, I thought it was a hardware problem which I have now fixed, and anyway I am now backing up to an external disk over USB, which works fine just copying important data such as music or photos.
    Windows Backup fails after any time between 5 minutes and 25 minutes, with errors similar to this:

Backup Status
    Operation: Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Media name: "backup11.11.08full.bkf created 11/11/2008 at 11:38"

Backup (via shadow copy) of "C: "
    Backup set #1 on media #1
    Backup description: "Set created 11/11/2008 at 11:38"

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 11/11/2008 at 11:43.
    Warning: Unable to open "C:\" - skipped.
    Reason: The system cannot find the path specified.

Backup completed on 11/11/2008 at 11:43.
    Directories: 0
    Files: 0
    Bytes: 0
    Time: 1 second
    Backup (via shadow copy) of "System State"
    Backup set #2 on media #1
    Backup description: "Set created 11/11/2008 at 11:38"

Backup Type: Copy

Backup started on 11/11/2008 at 11:43.

Error: Could not access portions of directory System State\COM+ Class Registration Database.
    You may not have permission to open the file, or the directory may be missing or damaged.
    Please contact the owner or administrator.

Error: Could not access portions of directory System State\Registry.
    You may not have permission to open the file, or the directory may be missing or damaged.
    Please contact the owner or administrator.

Backup completed on 11/11/2008 at 11:49.
    Directories: 173
    Files: 2720
    Bytes: 508,383,380
    Time: 5 minutes and 53 seconds
    Critical files that make up System State were not successfuly backed up.
    Restoring this backup set will cause system failure.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

HOWEVER, if I just backup the System State data it works without a problem. If I try and backup everything on the computer EXCEPT the System State data, I get similar error messages and the backup fails.

I have recently done a Scandisk and everything seems to be working OK, just won't let me back up. I have selected all my music and photos and copied them to the new hard drive without any problems, the problem seems to be the Backup utility.

If all else fails I can simply copy all my important documents, files and Inboxes manually to the disk so I'm not too worried, it's just a bit of a pain not being able to use backup!

Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Thanks
    John

2. tym

tym Corporal

May I suggest trying 3rd party software. I think there are some nice free ones. I myself have used nothing but Norton's ghost for many years and it has never failed me once.

The other really popular brand is called acronis. I do hear good things. I have tried it a couple of times. Failed me once, went back to Norton's ghost.

I am using Norton ghost 14 and keep it backed up to a internal slave drive. Always restored my computer quick and without flaws.

If that simply is not a option for you I would really look into a good free 3rd party software back up. While I am sure there are a few that use windows back up software, Most use Acronis or Norton's. Do not see many users backing up with windows default.

Now system restore works well in Xp. But if you get complete hard drive failure I not sure how dependable Xp default backup software would be.

3. JohnSais

JohnSais Private E-2

Thanks guys, I'll try Acronis True Image instead. I had some very bad experiences with Norton Ghost a few years ago where a drive got wiped instead of mirrored - never will find out what happened there!

I still don't understand why Backup is refusing to do what it says on the tin, instead of reporting errors it stops at the first few problems and won't go any further.

Hopefully True Image will be better.
    Thanks
    John

4. JohnSais

JohnSais Private E-2

Thanks guys!:)

Downloaded Acronis TrueImage and finally have a full working backup of my system, much relieved! It was actually a lot faster than expected onto my WD portable drive, considering there was nearly 60gb of data. All visible as 'normal' files too on the backup, so I can see what has been copied, unlike Windows backup which you could only view if you used Restore. Excellent program!

Many thanks for your help, this site has been invaluable to me on other problems, keep up the good work!

Cheers
    John

5. Mark22

Mark22 Private E-2

Guys,

I just went thru a little rebuild effort on my PC after a Linux install wiped out my boot partition. I have been using Acronis True Image since last year and had a major issue with the restore of my boot partition. I was using the backup partition function but when I went to restore the image, Acronis failed to recognize the backup. I was told by Acronis tech spt, gee, we're sorry and recommend you by version 9, which I did. I used version 9 for more than 7 months backing up my boot partition to my external Lacie USB drive and thought I had it covered. When my windows install became corrupted I booted from the Acronis disk to attempt the partition restore. No joy again, Acronis reported the backup images not valid!

I haven't tried Norton Ghost and have no opinion. My guidance is to not trust you backup until your test the restore process. It is very frustrating to feel you have a good backup only to find it unusable. The Acronis application seems to run thru the backup process nicely, but I have yet to have a successful restore from this product. I would recommend you try something else other than Acronis.

Mark

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Mark22, I'm curious if you verify the images after you make them? I always verify because I don't want a surprise when I need to restore. TI had one instance where it did not verify while Norton Ghost has given me numerous instances of failing to verify.
    If my image won't verify, I toss that one and start over.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds