Vista Problems... I think

Discussion in 'Software' started by AshleyM, Jul 25, 2009.

1. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

If this is the wrong forum, please feel free to direct me in the right direction...

I am having some problems with my laptop. I have a LGR40 laptop that I love (Purchased 2.5 months ago), that runs on Vista. However, in the last few weeks I have been having problems with the mouse pad and the keyboard. It started as just the mousepad, sporadically freezing up and I thought I was somehow turning it off. Since then, the keyboard has started freezing as well. I have done a little searching around, and some have suggested this is caused by Vista as opposed to my hardware since the computer still works, others have suggested it is hardware as I can attach a wireless mouse that works and windows appears to be running fine. When I look in the control panel it says the devices are working fine, clearly they are not.

So what I am wondering, really, is what the general consensus is here- is it hardware or software? Can I fix this myself (or get a techy friend to- brother in law is a tech for the school board, and I work at Future Shop) or should I send my laptop off to LG? I have a Product Service Plan from Future Shop so even if LG doesn't cover whatever is wrong, my PSP will from Future Shop (gotta love staff discounts on warranties).

Thanks for any help you can give, and I really hope this all makes sense... typing as fast as I can before my keyboard gives up and dies again :cry

Cheers!

P.S. I should note, I have done all the malware things, am running Norton 360 and have found no virus/malware/spyware etc issues.

2. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

Well, as of this morning, my computer will not start up, so I'm sending it off to LG anyway. Still, if anyone has ideas about why this happened in the first place, I'm interested to hear opinions.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

To blame Vista as the cause is easy option, but as LG likely sell many of this model Laptop with Vista, its also likely Vista is not the cause, but could well be the driver needed re-installing, could also be a 3rd party application you installed caused the problem.

You have not been managing the startups have you with msconfig? as disabling some startups can cause hardware to fail if they need this software startup.

Could well just be sadly a hardware error in the mouse pad and sending it back is best option.

4. AshleyM

AshleyM Private E-2

Hi Halo,

I too, felt that blaming Vista was likely a long shot and people who are just angry with the problems that are associated with Vista- personally, it has grown on me since buying my laptop in May- were just being picky.

I have not touched anything in msconfig on the laptop, until this mouse problem started 4 weeks ago I had no problems with the computer and Norton kept everything running great.

As I said, as of this morning the computer stopped working completely. I can turn it on but nothing loads and all I can hear running is a fan. I stopped into work (to get the LG info so I can get it sent out) and ended up chatting with our Connect Pro guy (for those not familiar with Future Shop, that's the same as Best Buy's Geek Squad) who is my other go to for computer related issues and he thinks the motherboard is gone. It was a demo model (hence my dirty, dirty deal in the first place) so who knows what could have caused the problems. I don't think any start up programs were changed by me, but who knows what Norton may have done...

Anyway, thank you for the ideas. I wish it hadn't of died this morning, I would have tried reinstalling drivers if you had of thought it would have helped. I knew I should have come here as soon as the problem started and before the keyboard became unresponsive too.

Cheers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds