Reinstall of xp do I get old updates?

Discussion in 'Software' started by beezneez, Oct 15, 2014.

1. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Hi,
    The title pretty much says it all. I have my son's old Dell laptop that is pretty messed up so i am going to do a clean reinstall of the OS, being win XP. I know it is not supported any more but are the old updates available? It is still a solid machine and the grandkids can have some fun watching Youtube etc.
    It is eight years old and doesnt have the specs for un upgrade of OS.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The updates through and including April 8, 2014 are still available. If MSSE is being run, definition updates are also available and (I believe) the Malicious Software Removal Tool is also kept current (monthly).

Since the grand kids will be using it, someone will need to monitor their internet activity because that's where XP would be most vulnerable (online).

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Additionally you can get Windows XP updates until 2019 if you pretend to have POSReady installed. You can activate it by running the attached registry script in my post #13 in http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=288415 (but do it only after you have installed all available updates through April 2014).

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've incorporated the POSReady Registry Key as pwillener alludes to. They advise that you back up your system PRIOR to incorporating the key in case of any problems. I'm running XP Pro SP3 and haven't had any issues and I've received updates for XP (as WEPOS/POSReady 2009), IE 8, .NETFramework 2.0 & 3.5. I don't know if there have been problems with any other version of XP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds