CD-RW not responding

Discussion in 'Software' started by lastthrill, May 11, 2006.

1. lastthrill

lastthrill Private E-2

I am having a a problem with my cd-rom drive(s)

First off I am running Windows XP home edition pentium 4, 2.4 ghz, with
    512mb ram.

I have two cd drives fixed into my CPU but only one is actually wired and operational at any given time because of the available wiring I have.

When my cpu was put together I opted for a Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252B to be the original cd rom.

About a year later I installed a LiteOn CD/DVD rom in a different slot in my tower. Since there was not enough wiring to run both I disconnected the Samsung drive for the LiteOn.

Fast forward another year and I have not had a problem with the cd drive at all ever. I started having a problem with Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debugger. I followed some advice to fix this problem and ran a Spybot S&D campaign, AdAware SE campaign, and Norton Systemworks 2005 and cleaned the recommended files they suggested.

SO now my cd rom drive is not reading at all....it is not even recognized when I open my computer..all I see is C: and A: my virtual drive created by daemon tools has even disappeared. So I tried hooking each one up seperately(Samsung and Liteon) to no avail. When I use device manager to uninstall both and go to add hardware for windows to pick it up this is the eror message I get:

A problem occurred during hardware installation. Your new hardware might now work properly.

sorry for the novel but I am at a loss for ideas and any review of this and insight is much appreciated.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

See how go with this from Microsoft.

Something might have gone a bit awry removing the other stuff.

3. lastthrill

lastthrill Private E-2

sorry it took so long, but just to close lock this thread......The microsoft way fixed my problem and now daemon tools and my cd-rom drive are fully operational again. Thanks!

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Since you mentioned you don't have enough wiring for both drives you might want to look into getting a external drive.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You can buy Y adapters for the power cable, if that's what you mean.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds