CPU - cooking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheepondrugs, Jan 16, 2007.

1. sheepondrugs

sheepondrugs Private First Class

im worried that my CPU is over heating.. (55*C)

i have a clean computer (dust free) ,
    i have it in a cool room,
    i have the sides of the casing,
    i have 7 cooling fans

my hard-drive is about 30*C on average
    my motherbord is about 40*C on average

any more idea on cooling? (without major component replacing)

thanks very much

XxX chris XxX

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

What exact CPU is this?
    Stock HSF?
    Are you OCing?
    What kind of thermal paste?
    Might just need to reseat the HSF & apply some good Thermal Paste
    What are you using to monitor temps?

3. sheepondrugs

sheepondrugs Private First Class

problem solved! :p

thanks very much for replying tho! :cool

Was:
    ===============
    CPU: 55*C
    HardDrive: 30*C
    MainBoard: 40*C

Now:
    ===============
    CPU: 42*C
    HardDrive: 25*C
    MainBoard: 30*C

My Solution:
    ===============
    Tidy Cables, moved away from the motherboard
    Moved large fan to the top of the case

so basically moving the fan up 3 inches made that much difference!! :D

XxX chris XxX

What are you using to monitor temps?
    I have hardware sensors, as well as "Hardware sensors monitor" software

4. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

Just a tip on cooling: It's better to have the lower fans taking fresh air in and the upper fans to blow warm air out. That is because warmer air moves upwards inside your case (physics ;))

5. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

was gonna say the same thing lol taken loads of experimenting but now sussed it, lower side fans draw air in, up over HDs and GPU then past the CPU through the back fans drawing air out and PSU has a big fan drawing air up into it and out its back fan. PS leaving sides off RUINS the air flow and makes having fans almost pointless, a pc's airflow is similar to a vacuum cleaner hence all the fluff build up under cdroms and in air intake fans lol

6. TDSM

TDSM Private E-2

CPU has its own mind......

i got same problem, but my computer has 3 fans installed in it already :cool and 1 large fan outside. But still the fan that keeps the processor cool goes on really fast every 1 min. then stops for couple of mins and starts again. wat should i do??? confused
    my comp is Win XP Professional with SP 2
    also dont know were to check up on temperature showing from the computer. confused

7. kronus

kronus Private E-2

Re: CPU has its own mind......

You could try re-seating your cpu with new thermal compound, also as sheepondrugs says, movings cables out of the airflow would improve the dissipation of heat. And are your fans intake on the front and outake on the back?

2 ways to check your temps, you can try via BIOS, alternativly you can use a 3rd party program such as SpeedFan.

As to your CPU fan speeding up and down, it sounds like your comp has some sort of temperature monitor, where it will speed up your fan's if it detects your internal temp rising, or possibly the fan head connecter is not properly seated. AMD has a Cool & Quiet function which it will try and maintain an optimal temp via changing fan speeds and core clock speed, this could be what your having a problem with. Though technically it is not a problem as it is doing what it should! :cool

8. TDSM

TDSM Private E-2

Thanks man:cool
    plus i kind of forgot that i put the heat sink thing on on a diffrent angle so it did not fit right and the CPU fan kept going on and on. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds