Question about setting up wireless router...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BethieD, Oct 27, 2005.

1. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

At work, I'm setting up a router so that my boss and I can share my DSL line. I've got the wirless router, and then realized that I needed also to purchase an adapter to be truely "wireless"... I think I understand that correctly.

My problem is that my DSL modem is connected to my PC with an ethernet cable. When I went to install the router, I couldn't find another ethernet plug-in on my pc (the directions said that I had to plug the router in to my pc with an ethernet cable). My question is if there's a way to buy some sort of adapter to plug in to one of the USB ports which I can then plug the ethernet cable into. Does that make sense or did I make a huge mistake and buy the wrong router??

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it!!!

~Beth

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

okay to do what you want you need the wireless router and a wireless card for your bosses computer. What speed wireless router did you purchase.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Depending on the router you bought, it should let you hook up two or three computers through cables and also pick up wireless signals.... which require a wireless adapter that will plug into a usb port on a remote computer. Depending on the distance from the "remote computer" , you may also have to get a signal amplifier for the system.

4. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

I purchased a Cisco Linksys BEFW11S4 V4 2.4 GHz Wireless B Cable/DSL Router. Does that tell you what you need to know? (I have no gifts of a technical nature.) :)

5. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

well it should say 11mbps, 54mbps, 0r 108 mbps on the wireless speed

6. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Do you have the wireless card also.

7. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

8. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

It's at work, but I just found what you're looking for online, I think:

Wireless operating range (indoors): 100 feet at 11 Mbps, 165 feet at 5.5 Mbps, 230 feet at 2 Mbps, 300 feet at 1 Mbps.

Doesn't look very good...

9. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

10. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

is his office more than 100 feet

11. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

I don't have the wirless card...on the webpage that you quoted, it said that i needed a wireless adapter that you can just plug into a USB port, so I ordered that. Was that a mistake?

12. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

Office is right next to mine, not even 20 feet.

13. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

Well there are two ways to do it . You can use a Usb wirelless setup, or you can use the router you have and buy a wireless pci card that goes into the computers pci slot( which is inside the computer)

14. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

So the ethernet adapters that i've seen online would not work for what I'm trying to do?

15. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

It depends on if you want to open the computer case and install the pci card or use the usb system which is on the outside of the computer

which adapters are you taling about

16. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

I've seen adapters that you can plug your ethernet cable into and then plug the adapter into a USB port. Maybe I'm all turned around on what that is and what it does, but I thought it might work.

17. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

18. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

Ok, so if I buy one of those little ethernet to USB adapters to connect the router to my pc and then buy the USB adapter to plug into my boss' computer than I should be good to go?

19. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

This adapter is a wireless G adapter your router is an wireless b adpater but they will work together. The G adapter goes up to 54 mbps and the B does 11mbps, but theG adapter will also pick up the 11mbps router but you are not usin the adapter to it's full potential.

20. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

This is how it would go
    Dsl modem to router to your computer
    wireless adapter in bosses computer

21. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

As long as it gets the job done and I don't have to hear my boss complaining anymore about her slow dial-up, I'm a happy girl. ;) Thanks so much for all your help!

22. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

Thanks so much for the simple instructions. Sounds great!

23. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

When you hook up the router there should be a setup wizard and it will wal you through the instruction of setting it up. Make sure you enable a security code (wep, or wpa) when setting up your wireless network this insures only you and your boss can get onto the network.

24. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

I'll be sure to set up a security code. Thanks for the warning.

25. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

hey no problem hope everything goes smooth for you, it is easy to setup just follow the instructions, you will aslo know what I am talking about (security code) when you goe through setting it up.

26. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

I forgot to ask what Os are the compters running Windows Xp ??

27. BethieD

BethieD Private E-2

Yes, we both have XP. (sorry I had to get to bed last night or i would have answered you sooner).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds