Should ALL WINDOWS UPDATES be installed?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bill E, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

Win 7 64 bit Pro - I have recently installed a new HDD and of course there is the dozens (100s??) of updates that MS send I always install the 'Critical' updates but should EVERYTHING be allowed or not?

I'm old enough to be a bit wary of 'Blind Faith'.

Thanks for any help

2. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

When I did a clean install, also on windows 7 pro, I let all updates run.

There are many that install drivers for your devices.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm the opposite. I NEVER let Microsoft install any driver updates. I got burned in the past by MS breaking hardware.
    For driver updates, I go to the manufacturer's site.

When a system requires massive amounts of updates, I do about 20 at a time and write down what was installed. I then reboot, use the computer to be sure everything is working the install the next batch of 20.
    If along the way something breaks, it is easier to deal with the last 20 updates than to try and figure out from 100's which one(s) broke the system.

Also, Win 7 shipped with .NET 3.5 so on two computers, I have never installed .NET4 (one Home and one Pro). That saves me quite a few updates/patches. The third Win 7 came with .NET 4.5 (Home) installed so I keep that one updated.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I'm with plodr on Windows updates and driver ones I do not install, far prefer to get them from the original makers site,

All others I will install but with the caveat of unless its critical, read what the update is for and hide ones like BING toolbar and Search, they are not needed.

But do install all critical's.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I got a serious ear-pulling by MA for saying that. Here is his view -

and THIS is what he recommends. I have tried it and it worked very well on all systems here.

6. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Totally agree.

It told me recently that my Intel Gibgabit Network connection needed an update.

Intel never notified me, but when I went to their site, sure enough, an update was required.

7. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I don't run updates from this program, only from the Mfr's Website.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds