Windows Media Player network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nater324, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Nater324

Nater324 Private E-2

I just purchased a new computer with Vista. My wife has d/led songs from ITunes on this computer and I have all my songs on our old XP computer in the basement. Is there a way that I can access all my old songs from the XP computer on my new Vista computer? If so, how?

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

what exactly are you trying to do? are you trying to leave the files on your xp comp, and play them on your vista comp? if you have a wireless network, you can go that route (you have to set it up). if your songs are from itunes, or some other place, you will have to get the license(s), to play them on the new comp.

some things to remember. don't forget about your firewall, you will probably have to configure it as well, if you are trying to share files on your network. you might want to do this 1st (either allow a range, or a single ip address).

i have found it easier to have the comps on the same "work group". right click my computer, select "properties", on the "computer name" tab, you can see your workgroup (if you select "change", you can change the workgroup name).

you also, have to "share" your folder that your music is in. either that, or put it in a different folder to be shared.

in xp, open "my computer" --> tools --> map network drive --> browse to your other comp, then save it. i don't select reconnect at logon anymore, because if the other comp is not on, you get an error (because it's trying to connect).

i'm not exactly sure for vista. g/l, sos

edit - in control panel, there is a network setup wizard, and on the 2nd page (i think), there is a link for a checklist.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

like what was said above, if you've downloaded songs from itunes, they use a proprietary format, and cant play in windows media player, but if you have other files (mp3, etc) then you can just do the file and printer sharing wizard(s) and turn on sharing for that particular folder that contains the music.

4. Nater324

Nater324 Private E-2

yep I am trying to access my mp3 files from the XP CPU on my Vista CPU using Win Media Player. In Network on the Vista CPU I can see the XP CPU but the workgroup name is different and when I try to access the CPU it prompts me for a user name and password. I tried to use the username and password for my sign-on for the XP CPU but it doesnt work. You mentioned a firewall, how do I change the firewall settings to allow access to the other CPU?

5. Nater324

Nater324 Private E-2

Ok, I tried the Workgroup\username Password and it didn't work. Is there a way to change the workgroup on the XP CPU?

6. Nater324

Nater324 Private E-2

thanks, i just did that and restarted my CPU. Now they both are on the same workgroup. I am trying to login on the XP CPU from the Vista, will update you in a min

7. Nater324

Nater324 Private E-2

ok I turned off the firewalls and d/l ed this file from Microsoft on the XP CPU that allows me to view Vista network (apparently you can go from Vista to Xp but not vice versa) and now I can see my Vista public from the XP but while on Vista, I keep getting prompted for the U.N. and PW for access to XP. Why is that? And why is it that I am inputting the correct U.N. and P.W. but still cant log in? Do I need to be logged on the XP or not?

8. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

i haven't a clue, i've never been prompted for a username or password.

yes, your comp need to be on, and you need to be logged into it (whichever acct, you are trying to access). - sos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds