Laptop won't boot up

Discussion in 'Software' started by txlanman, Mar 20, 2012.

1. txlanman

txlanman Private E-2

Asus laptop running Windows7 (not sure if 32-bit or 64-bit). It tries to start up, but quickly goes to choices of Start Windows Normally or Startup Repair.

Startup Repair doesn't fix the issue. Looking at the log to be sent to Microsoft, it says the cause is undetermined. Furthermore:
    • ProblemEventName: StartupRepairOffline
    • ProblemSignature01: 6.1.7600.16385
    • ProblemSignature02: 6.1.7600.16385
    • ProblemSignature03: unknown
    • ProblemSignature04: 21200706
    • ProblemSignature05: AutoFailover (but now ExternalMedia)
    • ProblemSignature06: 11 (# of times it's tried)
    • ProblemSignature07: BadPatch
    • OS version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    • LocationID: 1033

From the advanced repair features I've tried to do a system restore, but my friend's daughter had that turned off. They've also made no system image recovery disks.

I've run chkdsk /f and /R and everything comes back fine. I've also booted up using a Partion Wizard CD to run its version which does a surface scan of the disk for errors. It comes back errorless. So I believe the disk is ok physically. I've tried a memory diagnostic from startup repair, but it says that \boot\memtest.exe is missing or corrupt.

Once it got to recovery options and said- Windows found problems with PC's startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and fix? That did nothing either. As always it would attempt to startup, get to the "starting windows" splash screen, I would hear the fan shut off breifly along with the hdd activity light, then it would reboot and I'd see the Asus splash screen. I even tried all the bootrec commands from startup repair command prompt: /fixmbr, /fixboot, /scanos, and /rebuildbcd, but no go...

The only thing that I tried that changed things a little bit (it stayed up a little longer on the starting windows splash screen and had the fan and hdd lights go off twice instead of once) was an attempt to roll back a patch:
    DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image \revertpendingactions

I'm out of ideas and hereby lay this laptop at said forum altar... :major

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can you log into safe mode and select Last Known Good Configuration?

3. Themishmish

Themishmish Private E-2

Seems like you did everything I know.
    Try safe mode and than resrat normaly
    If not, I guess it is your memory or windws gone crazy

4. txlanman

txlanman Private E-2

Looking back I guess I was so busy making sure I listed everything I tried, I forgot to mention my first steps were to try all the boot options: safe mode (reg, with networking, command prompt), last known good config, and even the more obscure ones. As it does with everything I've tried, it just reboots somewhere in the process of trying to load.

If Asus had the Gettysburg Address on their splash screen, I'd know it by heart at this point...:-D

The way it's acting might lead me to believe it would be a power issue or a CPU gone bad. However, it ran fine when I booted up to the Partition Wizard DVD as it took the time to scan the entire hdd for errors.

Thanks for taking the time to assist once again...:)

5. Themishmish

Themishmish Private E-2

I know that feeling! LOL
    I don't think it's your cpu

6. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I am not sure if this will help or even if you have the files. The registry hives are the Windows>System32>config folder. Windows 7 has a recent backup or the registry hives in a subfolder of config called RegBack. You can rename the registry hives in config with a bak extension and then copy the hives from the Regback subfolder to the config folder.

The hives in Regback should be

Software
    Sam
    Security
    System

Since you cannot keep the computer from restarting, you will have to do the copying offline with a linux distro like Puppy. Burn the iso file and when you boot Puppy, you will see a hard drive in the lower left. Click it once and you should see your files and folders on the drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds