Realtek HD Audio Problem with XP SP3

Discussion in 'Software' started by timmytiger69, Aug 1, 2009.

1. timmytiger69

timmytiger69 Private E-2

Hi guys, I have a problem with my audio device. I'll give you the long story.

I re-formatted my pc, as i had recently received a virus that my Anti-Virus wasn't picking up. Anyways, did my thing, formatted, partitioned and re-installed XP, all was good. However, (after recent research into my problem) I had found that, Realtek HD Audio Drivers were not supported in SP3 (ready to be corrected). Apparently I had to Install a Hotfix named KB888111 which included a solution to the problem. However, because my copy of XP was slip-streamed (or what ever it's called) with Windows Xp Service Pack v.3282, I cannot uninstall the SP. I have downloaded the latest (final ?) version of SP3 from the Microsoft website, but in order for me to install the latest version of SP3, i need to uninstall the prior copy and this is my problem, I cant :cry I have followed all the steps on the Microsoft website (less the last one as i am not confident mucking around with the registry) and nothing has worked. I cannon find the SP in Add/Remove Hardware, not the secret uninstall path listed on the Microsft Website, or find a system restore point to roll back the SP. Please help guys, much appreciated.

Here is some system Information:

System:

Microsft Windows XP Professional
    V 2002
    Service Pack 3 v3282

Computer:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU
    E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    2.22GHz, 2GB RAM
    Physical Address Extension :confused
    Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
    Sound: On board Realtek Sound Drivers
    Graphics: 9800GT 512MB nVidia Card
    650W PSU

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

Since SP3 was slipstreamed on to the install CD, there is no way to uninstall it. You should be able to get the audio working w/o having to remove the service pack. You need to simply 'trick' Windows into thinking that SP2 is installed when you actually have SP3 installed. Follow the steps in this thread, but install the audio drivers between steps 3 and 4. Use the RealTek HD drivers from this link. That should do it!
    Good luck!

3. timmytiger69

timmytiger69 Private E-2

All right, do you want the good news or the bad news? I'll give you the good news first. I followed the steps in the post that you suggested, and after following the steps, my audio drivers have been recognised, so a big thank you on that one. Sadly though, i still have no sound playing. Before i followed your linked thread, I could not play any sound, even opening Itunes or Winamp, it came up with an error saying something along the lines of "Your audio device is not configured properly. Itunes/Winamp may not work properly". After the steps I followed, it has eliminated that error, however i still have no sound. I am currently downloading Realtek's latest drivers from their site and I will give you and update soon and see how this goes. Again, a BIG thank you in helping me out here, very much appreciated. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds