Problem with Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by pokadottedskunks, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pokadottedskunks

pokadottedskunks Private E-2

Hello, I am having a problem with my audio driver. My sound randomly stopped working and i do not know how to fix it. If i go to Device Manager, the following is listed under the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers:
    - Audio Codecs
    - Legacy Audio Drivers
    - Legacy Video Capture Devices
    - Media Control Devices
    - Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver
    - SigmaTel C-Major Audio
    - Video Codecs

There is an yellow exclamation point next to Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver. When I click on the exclamation point, the following message is under Device Status:

"A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"

I do not know what to do, can someone please help me?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is your PC a OEM one as in HP, DELL, Compaq etc if it is please tell us what the model version and number is.

If its a home build or custom shop bought one then please let us know what the motherboard and if you have a separate soundcard what the maker and versions of those are.

To help you in this download this Everest once run the Computer > Summary section will tell you these things, just post the relevent bits like Motherboard Name and Sound.
    /Audio Devices.

3. pokadottedskunks

pokadottedskunks Private E-2

its a dell inspiron 6000

4. DavidGP

5. IH8GWB

IH8GWB Private E-2

my friend has lost it too he's useing a IBM thinkpad T20

6. aiteacher

aiteacher Private E-2

I have the same problem, but when I uninstalled the driver as someone suggested, the reboot did not bring it back. The sys file is still there, but the item in the device manager is now gone. DVDs etc work fine, I have 97'realtek in my HP n370m. Everything shows up as working except for this, and the control panel display of sound is greyed over with no available settings or sound capability. Help!

7. DavidGP

Reboot sadly when uninstalling the likes of the sound driver tends not to bring it back or re-install it as they are generally not drivers the operating system has in its CAB database of drivers, that method works if your having problems with a CD/DVD drive.

WHat you may need to do is to re-install the makers as in HPs supplied Realtek AC97 driver http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=367282&os=228&lang=en as many OEMs tend to slighlty adjust their drivers and ones found at the likes of Realtek may not work correctly.

8. aiteacher

aiteacher Private E-2

Thanks Halo,

The RealTek 97 HP download took (sp26412), but I now have a more interesting flavor. When I installed the new HP driver as you suggested, the problem remained, however when I rolled back the driver, things worked. However, when I restarted the system, I was back to square 0 with no sound, and I could not roll back unless I reinstalled the new driver. Screwy? Should I buy a new sound card? I thought I was smart about these things but this has me stumped. Is there any software that when installed takes over the sound function? I did install some new apps like the newer versions of Nero and Cakewalk recently.

aiteacher

9. mily15

mily15 Private E-2

hi.
    i live in europe and am having the same problem. =[
    i really need help so anyone...

my system is a :

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002
    service pack 2
    intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz

so does anyone know any websites to install it
    or something similar to volume control.
    im afraid i will have to reinstall everything again like
    before ugh!. all sugestions are welcome. =]]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds