Upgrading FireFox Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by ANHEDONIC, Nov 30, 2005.

1. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

I've never had a problem upgrading, in terms of losing my favorites or my plug ins, but i'm always nervous about it..

in the past, i close the browser, uninstall via Add/Remove programs, then delete my Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files...

then i install the new version... upon running it, my favorites remain there and I don't have to reinstall any of the plug ins...

anywah I can back up my favorites folder for piece of mind, in case the unexpected happens? or is it pretty safe to just continue upgrading the way i have in the past?

thanks for your help...

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

find your bookmarks.html file in your mozilla/firefox/profiles directory.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

4. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

ah i remember reading a thread on that... wasn't it created to sync your bookmarks between different browsers? I'm only use FireFox...

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yes, But I put more functionality in it for backup etc.. up to you..whatever you want to do.

6. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Always safest to back up, even though you usually wind up not using the backups. It's actually pretty simple to copy your entire profile. It's in an obscure location, though, see this page:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

I have daily backups made automatically by the extension Bookmark Backup. Though it was originally only for bookmarks, other files were added as options so it could back up everything in the profile except extensions and themes. In Firefox 1.5, a new system for installing extensions and themes allows BB to back them up too, you just have to type "extensions" in "Other Files" in the BB options. You can download it here: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=13

Whatever method you use, you really should back up your Firefox profile regularly.

7. Bambo

Bambo Private First Class

Inspired by some extentions I guess Firefox 1.5 now make backups of bookmarks.html. See new "bookmarkbackups" subfolder to profile.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Cool. good to know. :)

9. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Yes, Firefox 1.5 does have a built-in bookmark backup feature, intended to finally take care of the lost bookmarks bug. It's a good feature, and long overdue.

However, this backs up only bookmarks, and the backups are kept in the profile. There's no way at this point to have them stored in another location, as you can with the Bookmark Backup extension.

While it's better than nothing, I don't consider that feature to be an adequate backup. The reason is, every once in a while I encounter stories like this one:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1916485#1916485

While that guy may be a troll, it's not the first time someone's reported that their entire profile was lost. So I always tell Firefox users back up your profile!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds