Online-Armor (v3.0 free) questions?

Discussion in 'Software' started by On edge, Dec 13, 2008.

1. On edge

On edge Corporal

[I already looked in the help file/online user guide, but didn't find the answer b/c it wasn't there or just missed it...]

1. What's 'ARP Protection' (under Main Menu -> Firewall -> Computers)

2. What's 'enable multi desktop support' (under Main Menu -> Options -> General)

3. What settings do I choose if I want to give "program X" full control within my computer, short of accessing the internet/other networked computers (without asking) either directly or through launch of other programs? Or is that even possible with the free version.

4. I have 3 computers networked (shared partitions), but my roommate's MAC is plugged into the same router, and it can also access the shared drives... Can Online-Armor v3 Free be used to restrict which computers can access my shared partitions?

Thanks in advance.

2. On edge

On edge Corporal

Also, I've had Online Armor crash on me a few times (maybe it caused the crashes??), and after each crash it needed to run the Safety Check Wizard and Learning Mode again -> a real PITA given that the Free version does not include the backup/restore feature (I assume that refers to backup/restore of OA settings) - the only reason I'm still giving this program one final go is because I don't know of a better alternative, although I'm thinking of going back to ZoneAlarm...

Can a user backup/restore Online Armor settings by keeping copies a certain OA files in a separate partition/directory, and then copying those back into the OA program directory when it craps out? Which files?

3. On edge

On edge Corporal

Just to update: I still don't know what 'ARP protection' and 'multi-desktop support' do. I'm unclear on the 'intercept feedback loop' too.

However, I haven't had any OA3 crashes either since my last post in this thread - possibly because (a) I took my computers out of the home network, (b) I've kept the Program Protection option off most of the time.

As for program control, OA3 can block direct access by programs to internet if you keep the 'automatically allow trusted programs to access the internet.' However, one program I installed tried to get around this by starting Firefox (which obviously is not on my blocked programs list). OA3 can catch those if you enable Program Protection, that's too much protection for me full-time, so these days I only enable it briefly, for example, when running a new program or something like that.

In summary, I'm staying with OA3 Free, and I like it better now than ZoneAlarm Free I was using before this (it was v7 or v7.5 - not the latest).

4. On edge

On edge Corporal

One more thing: I did experience the following bug or conflict between Spybot Search & Destroy and Online Armor 3: Spybot edits the "hosts" file in my C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc directory. As best I could tell, it would add the addresses of blacklisted sites there. For some reason these entries ended up on OA3's list of approved (allowed) Hosts. That may have been behind some or all of my OA3 crash incidents, though I removed them (and Spybot) as soon as noticed what had happened.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

ARP stands for Address Resolution Protocol. More info about "ARP Protection" can be found at this link. In that forum, they're discussing ZoneAlarm's ARP Protection feature, but it's the same thing. Read the 6th post for a very detailed informative description of what ARP Protection is all about.

More info about multi-desktop support can be found in this thread in the Online Armor forums.

I hope this clears things up a bit!!!

:-D

[dlb]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds