can't locate autochk.exe in recovery console

Discussion in 'Software' started by lmhjcr, May 27, 2011.

1. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Hello,
    I have a Dell Dimensions 4400 that was given to me (hadn't been used for over a year) and my pc was down. Anyway, I started the pc up and connected to the internet and downloaded an antivirus program, installed it and then made sure that it was up to date and that the firewall was up and running as well and then did the MS updates for the pc.

All was fine for a week or so. I went on line one day to run the Trend Micro online scan but after about 45 minutes I had a screen stating Kernel_Stack_Inpage_Error. I jotted down the information and then restarted the pc. I got the Dell screen, windows logon screen then a blue screen with the statement about A problem detected and windows shut down to prevent damage. a process or thread crucial to system operation unexpectedly exited or terminated restart pc.
    If this screen appears again follow these steps:
    Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. if problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory option such as caching or shadowing.
    and to restart pc using safe mode to remove or disable and restart pressing f8 for advanced startup.

I did try starting pc in safe mode and selecting the last known good configuration and all that happened was that I got the same screen with the different safe mode options. This just kept happening no matter which option I selected. Anyway, I eventually shut down the pc and later on I turned it back on and as per the information that had been given on the first error it stated to run disk scanner so I went to the command prompt and ran chkdsk as per the microsoft site - it found errors so I ran the chkdsk /r and then exited. On startup again all was running fine. I left the pc run for about 30 minutes with no problems.

The next time I turned the pc on and it started to load normally - left to do something and came back to a black screen stating Boot Failure System Halted. Tried Ctrl Alt Del and that just restarted pc with the same message. Finally shut down pc at the tower. I have checked to make sure that all cables and such are properly seated inside the tower and there are no beeps when I start the pc (and all the little lites on the back of the tower are green)

Now when I turn on the pc all I get is the dell screen then a black screen with the message: We apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files choose last know good configuration. The options that I have to choose from are safe mode; safe mode with networking; safe mode with command prompt; last know good configuration or start windows normally.
    If I select start windows normally I get the windows xp splash screen then the dell screen and the same message on a black screen again. Last known good configuration results in the same thing and if I select safe mode it goes through the screen for safe mode with the differnet drivers and such and then comes right back to the same screen.

I then tried restarting the pc into the recovery console using the windows xp home diskettes and all was fine until I got to the recovery console and typed in chkdsk at the command prompt and the response was
    Autochk.exe could not be located in either the startup directory or the CDROM drive
    Type the full path (including drive letter) for the location of autochk.exe:
    Autochk.exe cannot be found in the specified location.

I then tried cd c:\windows\system32
    The path or file specified is not valid.

Tried cd\windows
    The command is not recognized Type HELP for a list of supported commands

C:\>

I did see at one site to try fixboot for the command but I am not all that sure as to what I am doing so before going any further thought I should as for help and or suggestions.

I am using the diskettes since I do not have the disk that came with the pc and this one is running windows xp home and my pc is running windows xp professional and from what I have been able to find out using my disc in a pc with home will not work.

I did see some information about making a boot floppy with another pc running windows xp (but it did not state if it had to be the same version) if your pc won't boot. If that does not fix the problem then to use the recovery diskettes or cd rom.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (I do have room in my pc to be able to install the hard drive as a slave if need be but have no idea as to what to do from there)

TIA

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You may be able to use the Pro disk to get to Recovery Console. Boot from the Pro disk and select R for repair and see if it lets you sign into recovery console. Then try to do the chkdsk /r.

You can also download a recovery console ISO file which you can burn to a blank CD using imgburn by using the "Write Image File to Disc" option.

If you have a C: prompt if you type dir does it give you a list of files including Windows folder?

If you type dir C:\Windows\System32\auto* does it list autocheck.exe?

3. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Okay - just to be sure that I understand you correctly (and I go and do something to screw things up even worse) Go ahead and use the xp professional disc that I have and access the recovery console in the xp home machine that way? (I only ask since the problem / Dell machine is xp home and my disc is xp professional)

I didn't try entering dir at the c:\> prompt.

I will try that as well as downloading and burning the recovery console iso file that you suggested in the meantime and I will let you know what happens if I enter dir at the c prompt. I am going to do that using the diskettes again unless I should do that with the iso file that I burn to a cd

Thanks So Very Much

4. sach2

Since you are not installing the XP Pro disk should work fine. We just want to see if autocheck.exe is there. If it is there than it something else that is causing the problem. I think I remember that in some cases the file is there but chkdsk still won't run.

5. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Okay, I went through the process with the xp home edition sp2 setup disks and when I got to the c prompt I entered dir

I got the following screen

C:\>dir
    Directory of C:\

An error occurred during directory enumeration.

Should I now install the xp pro disk and try the recovery console or use the disk that I just burned?

6. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

I installed the xp pro disc into the drive and restarted the pc.
    I did get to the windows xp professional setup screen and selected R for the recovery console and at the c prompt tried chkdsk /r.
    The screen stated
    CHKDSK is checking the volume......
    CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery...........
    and he amount completed was at 50% and then started to climb and then went back to 50% completed again.

Will let you know when it is done with the checkdisk

7. sach2

Try the disk you just burned. From a quick read it may be a problem with the NTFS file system that is causing all the problems. Give chkdsk /r a try when you get into recovery console. (It may not work since chkdsk needs autocheck from the C: partition and that filesystem is corrupt. But we should try.)

This is what I was reading: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311724

You are fine letting chkdsk complete.

8. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

As soon as the current chkdsk /r is done running - which was currently at 74% complete (using the windows xp pro disk) but now is back to 51% completed I will exit and restart the pc with the disc that I just burned and let you know what happens. In the meantime I will read that MS article.

You have no idea how much I appreciate all you help.

Lisa

9. sach2

I've been reading and letting the chkdsk /r complete is really the primary solution. When it is done (which can take a while--and others also often get the going to higher and lower % during the process) you can try dir again to see if it now gives you a list of files on C:. If it does then try to boot with no CD or startup disks and let us know what you get.

10. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Okay, it is done running the chkdsk /r using the xp professional disk and it stated
    ckhdsk found and fixed one or more errors on the volume

19518940 kilobytes total disk space
    10468708 kilobytes are available

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
    4879735 total allocation units on disk
    2617177 allocation units available on disk

I then entered dir at the c prompt and got the following information

The Volume in drive C has no label
    the volume Serial Number is 7c36-9102

Directory of C:\ and there are a total of 18 files listed
    2499439388 bytes
    10719956992 bytes free

The files listed include:
    2 with just a long line of numbers and a few letters then
    3/22/07 3:39a -a-h-c-- 0 AUTOEXEC.BAT
    3/23/07 3:08a -arhsc-- 207 boot.ini
    5/29/22 3:52a -------- 3082 bootex.log
    3/22/07 3:39a -a-h-s-- 0 CONFIG.SYS
    also files named : documents and settings
    one that is 401985536 hiberfil.sys
    IO.SYS
    MSDOS.SYS
    net_save.dna
    NTDETECT.COM
    ntldr
    2097152000 pagefile.sys
    Program Files
    RECYCLER
    System Volume Information
    WINNT

Shall I exit and do the same with the disk that I just burned?

11. sach2

Try with no disc to see if Windows will startup.

12. sach2

I just looked at that list again and don't see a WINDOWS folder. Was this an upgrade from Windows 2000?

13. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Okay, have just entered exit at the c prompt, removed the disc and let the pc restart. I got that safe mode screen and just hit the enter key which was to start windows normally. It took a few minutes with the windows xp screen before I got the login screen. Selected the user and it started with the loading process and right now I have the desktop starting to load up and that little hourglass was on the screen. Then it suddenly went to the dell screen (black screen with the blue dell and the www.dell.com --- after a few seconds I got a black screen with Boot Failure: System Halted.

14. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

I don't think so since it states on the side of the tower that it is Windows XP Home Edition with the product key numbers.

15. sach2

I guess we can try chkdsk /r again. You can use either CD. Please note if it finds more errors.

I'm looking at that HD is only 20gb so it is at least 10 years old. I think it is on borrowed time and failing. That would explain why last week it worked sometimes and sometimes didn't. My guess is that errors keep occurring at a faster and faster rate which is usually how it goes.

If you give the manufacturer of the HD then we can find the diagnostic program to test the HD. Since we can't get into Windows yet we would need to burn a CD with a DOS version of the program. Or there might be a floppy version if you'd rather use a floppy.

16. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Since there was nothing but a blinking _ after the Boot Failure: System Halted I used ctrl + alt + del to try and restart the pc (first putting the new disc that was just burned into the pc).

I got the dell screen and then the boot failure message again - tried again with same result so I am going to shut it down at the tower, wait a minute or two and then restart the pc with the new disc in the drive.

I do know that the hard drive that is installed in the Dell is Maxtor - model 2B020H1
    Mfg Date: 19FEB2002

In regards to burning a CD with a DOS version of the program - that is not a problem since I am using my laptop to converse right now. To use a floppy version would mean that I would need to unplug the Dell so that I can plug the monitor into the HP that is running Windows XP Professional in order to create floppy discs. Whichever would be the better choice.

17. sach2

On the new CD not working it should give you the "Hit any key to boot from CD" just like the Windows disk. Are you sure you burned it as an image file? (It is important because you will have to do the same with the Seatools for DOS ISO which is the diagnostic program for Maxtor drives.)

As a test: with the Rc.iso disc in the tray try hitting F12 during the Dell screen and see if you get an option to manually select Boot from CD. Do you still get the Boot Failure message?

Seatools ISO: http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS220EURO.144.ISO

18. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Okay, I installed the new disc (which I used Image Burn to burn the iso image file to CD with) and I clicked any key to start from the disc and then I entered/hit the r key to enter the recovery console. At the C prompt I typed in chkdsk /r and it is now running.

Just to let you know --- when I tried restarting the pc with the disc in the drive initially I got the windows xp screen which just stayed there for over 20 minutes - tried ctrl alt del (nothing happened) so finally shut it down from the tower. Waited about 2 minutes and restarted it again and this time I did get the "hit any key to boot from CD" screen.

I will download and burn that file now while waiting for it to run the chkdsk /r.

19. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

The chkdsk /r just finished running and it stated that it found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.

After it stated that it found and fixed one or more errors it took almost 2 minutes before it stated (yes I started setting a stopwatch to see how long it is taking for things)
    19518940 kilobytes total disk space
    10468708 kilobytes are available

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
    4879735 total allocation units on disk
    2617177 allocation units available on disk

I again typed in DIR

and I got the same information as before (no windows folder is in the list this time either)

Shall I exit and install the Seatools ISO disc that I made with image burn and what do I do from there?

20. sach2

I think the WINNT folder is the equivalent of the WINDOWS folder but I thought that was related to Win 2000. I could be wrong and perhaps older versions of XP used that folder name--not really sure.

Yes, go ahead and start from the SeaTools disc. Run the short test and see what it says about the status of the drive. Then you can try the long test which will allow you to attempt to correct errors. I don't really see any harm in attempting to repair bad sectors--the data they hold is already corrupted.

Here is an overview of the screens: http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=201271&NewLang=en
    and a more detailed txt document: http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

21. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

I have now gotten out of the recovery console; removed the rc disc and shut down. Installed the seatools disc and have started the pc with that disc in the drive.
    Just in case you wanted or need this information:
    drive list: Maxtor 2B020H1 serial number B1EC3FHE revision type: WAH21PB

Drive information:
    Device 0 is ATA Device Maxtor with above info on Generic PCI ATA
    Max Native Address 39062499
    Device is 28 Bit Addressed - Number of LBAs 39062499 ( 20.000 GB )
    This drive does not support Security Features
    SMART Is Supported and ENABLED
    SMART Has Been Tripped !!!
    DST is Supported
    Logging Feature Set is NOT Supported
    POH 2246

I selected the drive and clicked on the Basic Test and got a screen
    Pretest Failure Warning
    A SMART trip was detected prior to test starting. Do you want to continue to the test?
    Clicked on continue and it is now running

22. sach2

SMART being tripped means the disk is bad.

You can see if it will let you run the long test. Before allowing any corrections--it sounds like that program may actually give a list of files effected. You might want to see how many files it finds that are damaged and if any of them sound like system files before making a decision on repairing. It may not even attempt repairs on a drive with a bad SMART status.

23. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

short test / basic test done and the result stated Short Test Failure
    Please save this code if your are planning a warranty exchange. Seagate product warranty status depends on how the product is sold. If your hard drive is a component in an OEM system, then the OEM covers the drive warranty (can forget about that)
    Unfortunately, your seagate hard drive has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to make sure you have a current backup of your important data.
    Seagate recommends that you run the long test, which has the ability to repair most problem sectors. SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive. For more on this subject see our help topic 'Bad Sector Found'

running the long test now.

24. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

I ran the long test and got a similar screen with the title Long Test Errors and the first 2 paragraphs are the same.
    The thirds paragraph states
    Seagate recommends that you consider repairing the problem sectors. and the last 2 sentences are the same as before as well.

The test progress section stated 99% LBA 39041968 5 Errors

when I click on done I again get the Pretest Failure Warning about SMART trip was detected prior to the test starting and do I want to continue to the test. No mention of how to repair the sectors. And if I click to view the log it just lists
    DST is Supported
    POH 2246

The only difference is the number following POH between the short test and the long test - long test number is 2266

I don't even see an option to have it repair the drive

25. sach2

You didn't get this box at the end of the test?

[​IMG]

26. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

nope!

27. sach2

I would say try the long test again. Take a look at the tutorial here and let me know if the screens match up. It says you should have had a popup after done. (just click the DOS version for the first two screens than keep clicking proceed on the right.)

28. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Funny you should suggest that I run it again. I decided to try again since you had asked about that screen which I did not get and it is now running again.
    Will check out the link for the tutorial while it is running.

Lisa

29. sach2

IF you don't get the popup go ahead and click View Log button and see if it has anything useful in it.

30. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

It has finished running the long test again and I have looked at the tutorial again and I am not getting the same long test failure screen that is shown at http://support.seagate.com/rightnow/Flash/seatools/SeaToolsforWindows_Warranty.html
    Instead my screen just says Long Test Errors and the information that I gave you before and there is no SeaTools Test Code at the top of that box either (which I thought odd since it is telling me to save the code).

When I click done on the errors screen/box I do not get the next box in the tutorial either. Instead I get that Pretest Failure Warning popup box about SMART trip was detected again.

31. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

I did look at the view log and all it states is
    DST is Supported
    POH 2288

Started Long Test 5/29/2011 @ 12:25.11

32. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

I clicked on the Advanced Features and the only things listed are
    Set Capacity to 32GB
    Set Capacity Manually
    Set Capacity to Max Native.

Apparently there should also be options
    Erase Track Zero
    Timed Erase
    Full Erase

that is according to http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=201271&NewLang=en

at about 2/3 of the way down that page it also states If SMART has been tripped, then there is no need to run a test. The drive should be replaced.
    That is with the colored text version screens shown on that page. But I'm guessing that it doesn't matter since the same statement is showing up on my screen. Although it is odd that the other 3 options are not showing up in the Advanced Features drop down menu

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  33. sach2

I don't know what to tell you. The old Maxtor utility is still available and may work on that drive if you want to burn another CD. I can't be certain it will let you run the long test if the drive fails the short test.

34. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Well at this point I'm guessing that it can't possibly make things any worse than they already are. (fortunately I do have plenty of blank CD's)

I did do a little searching about those options missing in the advanced tab and did find something but no real help there http://forums.seagate.com/t5/SeaToo...ill-button-under-Advanced-Features/td-p/14778
    other than the suggestion to try the text version if the graphical one is erroring and a link to
    http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=201271

just did a little search looking for that tool but instead came up with this link
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

35. sach2

36. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

At this point I guess it can't hurt - I tried the link you gave me to download it and selected the option to just download it since the other link at that site got me nowhere.

I also downloaded and will read the .pdf file as well.

Will burn the iso with image burn and run that and see what happens. Will get back to you after that is done.

I'm guessing that if I want to fix this pc I might need to replace the hard drive if this can't fix the bad sectors.

37. sach2

Sorry, This is the link to the main diagnostic page. http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#maxtor Go to Maxtor and look for the PowerMax iso.

In reality a HD with a bad SMART status is no good for an OS. You never know when the next bad sector will effect a critical OS file.

The only way to even attempt to salvage that drive would be to do a low-level format that will mark all the bad sectors and then do a fresh install of XP. Even then you are rolling the dice every time you turn it on. (The only caveat is that in the past I have use drives like this even for OS installs but never on a machine I was dependent on. I've had drives that had a bad SMART status last a couple of years after a low level format but I doubt I ever used them on a daily basis.)

On a machine I use daily, as soon as I see a Smart warning I replace the drive. No thinking--just do it. They are just too unreliable for anything you care about.

38. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Not a problem. The second link at that page gives you the .iso file and I also found it here at MajorGeeks too!

The tests are running now.
    Did the installation test and it passed
    Went to the Basic Quick Test and it stated: results – advanced test required
    Test status – full read scan of the drive is recommended
    It is currently running the advanced test and so far it has passed
    the following tests:
    soft reset test
    drive recal test
    drive identify test
    drive r/w buffer test
    SMART Enable function
    Scanning the drive - SMART Enable Function - passed

it is currently still running the next test

39. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

After the next test I got a red !!!WARNING!!! box
    Errors have been detected on your drive. PowerMax can attempt to repair these errors. The data on these sectors may be lost by running the repair. In most cases the data is already unreadable and unrecoverable. PLEASE BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA BEFORE RUNNING THE REPAIR.

since there is no personal data on this drive and it seems like I am not going to be able to fix it the way it is now I am going to click yes to continue

Well that was REALLY FAST. almost immediately after clicking that I was sure and to go ahead and fix it the next box stated
    Repairing the drive.... Passed
    Advanced Test - Congratulations! Your drive has been repaired. Press any key to continue.

I am going to run the first 3 tests again to see if it passes all 3 of them.

There is also a Burn in Test, Low Level Format (Full), Low Level Format (Quick) test as well.

40. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Well, I ran the first 3 tests again and it passed the first test; on the basic quick test it again said advanced test required
    Test status – full read scan of the drive is recommended.
    (instead of Congratulations! Your drive has passed the Basic (Quick) Test)

But this time when I ran the advanced test it stated that it passed!

Should I do the Burn in Test or exit and try restarting the pc without any discs and see what happens???

41. sach2

I would skip the burn in test, for now.

I say just see if it will boot or which error you get.
    If no boot run chkdsk /r one more time and see if that does anything for you.

I think the Maxtor utility has done all it can do. Now it is a matter of trying to get XP to boot and seeing if we can get a specific error.

42. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Got to esc in the Maxtor Utility and while removing the cd from the drive a screen came up
    Batch file A”\AUTOEXEC.BAT missing
    Strike any key when ready

Hit ctrl alt del and back to the safe mode again

Selected start windows normally

Got the Windows xp screen with the blue bars running across underneath the Windows XP logo
    Then a black screen and
    Checking file system on C
    Type of file system is NTFS

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check but it is strongly recommended that you continue

Windows will now check the disk

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)
    File Verification Completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (state 2 of 3)
    Index verification completed

Chkdsk is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)
    Security descriptor verification completed

Then something else that was done before I could read & type it and then the windows xp screen again with the same small bar across the bottom

After 47 seconds black screen then windows starting up
    Click your user name
    Loading your personal settings

Now back to the regular desktop with the little hourglass and this time the anti virus icon in lower right corner is moving like it usually does when starting up and a screen stating that there are unused icons on the desktop

Then the little ballon about updates are ready for my pc. Then the ballon that the anti virus was unable to connect to update.

Everything seems to be working now. (I sort of afraid to shut the darn thing off now --- just kidding). But before I connect the pc to the internet I am going to make sure that everything is running without problems.

You have no idea how much I appreciate this. I'm thinking that if I want to keep this as a backup pc I should probably replace that hard drive --- just in case (besides it is only a 20 gb hard drive)

The nice thing about this one vs. the HP running Windows XP professional is that this one can still have the RAM upgraded in it and the HP is already maxed out (with 512mb). {the hp originally came with windows ME and has an 80gb hard drive - which isn't even half filled & I just replaced the psu in it}

Right now the Dell only has 384 mb of ram but can be upgraded to 1GB of ram (just has a much smaller hard drive in it)

Again, Thank You So VERY VERY Much for all your time and assistance (and patience too)!

Lisa

43. sach2

You are very welcome!

One thought is depending on how much space you have free on that HD you could make a copy of the whole WINNT folder to give you a backup of system files. Then if you had a problem with a specific file you would have copy specific for that machine. It might take two or three GB to do it. Or maybe just the Winnt\system32 folder?

I'll think about any possibilities. But getting a new HD is probably the wisest thing to do so you are not always wondering when the next problem will appear. Someone may have an old IDE drive lying around that they no longer use. I know I have a couple of 40gb drives I have no use for.

44. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Hello (yet again)

The hard drive on the Dell (which is only 20GB to begin with) states that 8.03 GB of space is used and there is 10.5 GB of free space --- but that only adds up to 18.6 GB (not sure why that is).

This pc was given to me and there are only a few programs installed and they are the ones that I installed which are an anti-virus program; my wireless network adapter; revo uninstaller; a firewall; the google chrome browser and Belarc Advisor (so that I could get some info on the pc).

There is nothing listed in the startup folder and the only other folders listed in start>all programs are 2 folders which are Accessories and the other is Games (which I was planning on going into add/remove programs to remove the games anyway - that one is only 13.3 KB in size but states 48 kb on disk). Also listed there are Internet Explorer; Remote Assistance; Windows Media Player and Windows Messenger (another item I never use).

So just what is taking up about 4GB of space (since the WINNT folder is 4.5gb in size) I have not figured out just yet. I can't compare the 2 pc's running xp at the same time to see what the differences are between the 2 when I open C:\ since I am using the same monitor for both but in the Dell when I open C:\ there are 5 folders
    2 which are a bunch of numbers - one of which is 6.09 mb in size and the other is only 53.3 kb in size.
    There is a Program Files folder (270 MB in size)
    Documents and Settings Folder (472 MB in size)
    WINNT (which is 4.5 GB in size) - guessing that is the windows folder
    and there is autoexec (batch file)
    config.sys and net save.dna

I think that you are very right in that I should get another hard drive and replace this one and I was thinking that I was just going to get one slightly larger than this one if I could find one for a decent price (trying to get by on a disability check of just $700/mo as it is)

anyway, as for making a copy of the WINNT folder - should I just click to copy and paste it and where to or should I copy it to an external hard drive; cd rom or flash drive?

Lisa

45. sach2

On copying the folder that was just a passing thought. It may never really be useful--I was just thinking if one day hal.dll or some other notorious file went missing because of corruption it might be helpful to have a copy. The folder is larger than I thought for a Win XP installation but they do tend to grow over time. Where to backup depends, do you have an external or flash drive that will hold that folder? I lot of it could be removed from the copy not the original. Let me know what size media you have available and I'll think about it.

On the space missing on the 20gb drive. First HD are marketed in such a way as to exaggerate their size by using a metric definition of GB instead of a computer standard so you only get 93% of advertised size, so 20x0.93= 18.6gb). I believe XP by default gives System Restore 12% of available space. and Recycle Bin 10% (approx.). Those can be reduced. System restore could go down to about 800mb and Recycle Bin maybe to 1gb or whatever you think you need to hold your largest file that you might accidentally delete.

46. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Hi There!
    Sorry that I didn't get back to you last night but I had to go and check on my parents and it was late before I got back home again.

I do have a couple of 16 & 32 GB SanDisk Flash Drives as well as a couple of 2,4 & 8GB Kingston DataTravelers. I also have a 500 GB Seagate External Hard Drive that I currently use for backing up the xp machine and a 500GB Maxtor that I use for the Vista Laptop.
    I also have an unused 500GB Maxtor One Touch 4 and a 750GB Buffalo - Both external as well.

I also have a dvd drive and dvd's that hold 4.7GB on them but since that folder is 4.5GB in size that would be really pushing it!

I empty the recycle bin all the time (at the very least every day before shutting down) and system restore is set at 4% which equals 826MB of space.

I do think that backing up that folder might not be a bad idea since I had all these problems and I will have to see about getting another hard drive for it as well (don't really need anything big since I don't store music and pics on the pc and it will pretty much be used intermittently - but I do think that it needs to be replace before it does go and slightly larger than 20gb is all I think I will really need)

Lisa

47. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Just went and looked in the WINNT folder and there are lots of text documents in there. 18 which are dated for yesterday and 98 from back in March when I got this pc and most of them start with KB and some numbers (guessing they have something to do with the ms updates that were done) The rest of the files are all dated from 2008 and back. Then there are the some other files and folders titled AppPatch, Fonts, Security, WinSxs, Assembly, Microsoft.Net, inf, Downloaded Program Files, System32 (904mb in size), Prefetch, Temp, Debug,Addins, Tasks, Ehome, system, srchasst, msagent, peernet, l2schemas, ime, network diagnostic, Service Pack Files, ie7 updates, Sun, Registration, RegisteredPackages, Offline Web Pages, repair, mmw32, Software Distribution, setup.pss, msdownld.tmp, PCHealth, Web, Provisioning, $hf mig$, help, Connection Wizard, java, msapps, Config, Speech, Cursors, Driver Cache, mui, resources, twain32 and the rest of the folders all start with $NTUninstall followed by a letter (either Q or K some numbers and end with $) there are well over 100 of these folders and most are dated from 2007 and 2008 with some dated in 2011.

48. sach2

You have tons of space. I would just do an image of the whole HD/Disk using Macrium Reflect or Todo Backup. I list these two programs because they allow you to burn a bootable CD to restore the backup. That is the simplest way to restore a backup if the OS won't load. With 8gb used the backup will end up smaller than that after compression.
    If the program you now use for backups works for you that would be fine too.

As far as the WINNT folder I was thinking you really only need the common files that go missing. This backup would only be for critical files not to try to replace everything. So folders like Fonts, Assembly, Temp, peernet, network diagnostics,ie7 updates, Help, Cursors, Connection Wizard etc. aren't critical for booting and could be skipped for a copy. The whole idea could be skipped since you have so much external space for imaging.

I was looking at IDE HDs and unfortunately there are few deals to be had. I can't really recommend ever buying a used HD and they go for $30+ on ebay (which is ridiculous for something used that goes bad so routinely).

New, they are all ~60+ regardless of size. I know I bought one last IDE HD (500gb) a few months ago for either $60 or $70. I was debating on letting my last IDE only computer go, but thought I would grab the HD while I could on sale. I still like having at least one IDE drive around and most of mine had died in the last year or so. The three small ones I use for testing purposes all have good SMART status but none of them sound too healthy. :p

49. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Hello,

I hope that you are having a wonderful Memorial Day. Mom and Dad have had me on the go since my last post. (finally a little time to myself - just kidding. With all that they have done for me in the past this is the least that I can do for them now and since neither of them drives any more and mom's health is questionable if they call I drop what I am doing and do whatever needs to be done.)

Anyway, I did start to look into the 2 programs that you suggested. TODO requires minimum of 1GB of memory to use that one - have not been able to find any information on the system requirements regarding memory on the Macrium Reflect backup software.

I have been using Acronis True Image Home on my Vista machine and for backups on the HP with XP Professional on it I have been using the Windows Backup Program (and asr) as well as the software that came with the Seagate Free Agent Desktop USB Hard Drive and if I recall correctly that is Seagate Disk Wizard/Free Agent.

The Dell (with all these problems) was originally given to me so that I could confirm that it was just the psu that had gone bad on my HP so I have never actually used it yet. It originally belonged to a good friends brother and sister in law who have divorced and her brother was just going to throw it out. No one had used the pc in a few years.

I did turn the pc on again yesterday and it was running just fine for a little while. I hooked up the wireless internet connection again (using a Linksys Wireless Broadband Router which is hooked up the the modem and I have a Wireless USB Network Adapter that I plug into the pc so that it can connect with the router). I unplugged it from my HP and connected it to the Dell and then went to the antivirus site to make sure that it was downloading the most up to date engine and virus databases. About halfway through the screen suddenly went black and the Boot Failure: System Halted message.

I shut down the pc, got out that PowerMax Disc again and started to run it. Again, it passed the first test; after the second test it again told me to run the advanced test which I did with the same results as the other day. That errors had been detected - PowerMax can attempt to repair them. I let it do the repair and again ran all 3 tests and it passed all 3 tests this time. I didn't do the next test (Burn Test) since that wasn't done the last time. Instead, I just exited the program and restarted the pc and it started up just fine. I left it run for a few minutes before shutting it off for the evening.

I'm guessing that the hard drive is on its "last leg" so to speak so I need to figure out what I want to do about it. (Unless you have some other ideas). I did look into the information for the Dell Dimension 4400 and it came with a few different options for the Hard Drive - varying in size from the 20GB up to 120GB. So I guess that if I am going to replace it and can find an IDE hard drive that I can go up to a 120GB internal to replace this one.

I have not attempted to turn that pc on again since I did the repair to the hard drive since I am not sure how much longer it will last anyway. Is there any way to do an image of that Hard Drive without having to install the software directly onto that Hard Drive?

Lisa

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds