Hope someone knows what to do

Discussion in 'Software' started by slb, Jul 20, 2007.

1. slb

slb Private E-2

My daughter was at college and let her computer get eaten by a virus. We paid to have it rescued, and the computer store made a back-up of her hard drive before erasing it. We cannot, however, seem to re-open the Word files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.). I have the original disc, but it won't reinstall. The message I get is "D:/FILES/SETUP/setup.ini" is missing or invalid. I'm getting a sinking feeling that she will have to buy a new programme. Her computer just doesn't want to take this disc, no matter what I do. Any thoughts?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Depends on what you want to do. We could try troubleshooting your Microsoft Office installation problem, or you could open the word files with a free alternative office suite called OpenOffice. Let us know!

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I'm assuming you mean that you have the Microsoft Office CD (with Word, Excel, etc) and that it won't install. Check it to see if it's dirty or scratched, if it is, that's probably the problem. Are you having any other problems installing other software? Visit Windows Update and be sure that the Windows Installer 3.1 is installed; that may help the situation. If all else fails, go to the Office Tools section here at Major Geeks, and download and install OpenOffice. It's a FREE replacement for Microsoft Office, and you can use it to open any/all Word docs (and Excel, Power Point, etc)..... good luck!

hd2k

4. slb

slb Private E-2

The disc isn't scratched, so that isn't it. For some reason Microsoft doesn't want to let me download Installer 3.1, so that's a bust. I guess I'll try to get my daughter to look at the Open Office installation. Sounds like a good option.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If your hard disk is large enough, copy the entire Office CD (there are actually several for MSOffice after 97) to a new folder on the hard drive.

If it wont install from that location, rename a copy of setup.ini to setup.txt and post it here, it probably needs editing.

Post also the version of Windows and MS Office, but not the product key.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds