Changing main hosting computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thelostonesway, Dec 20, 2009.

1. thelostonesway

thelostonesway Private E-2

Hey Geeks, i've got a question. I'm currently hosting a game off of my computer, and I just got a new laptop. I've gotten everything I need to host the game on the new laptop, and all is fine and dandy to go, except I do believe that I need to have my configurations set that my router recognizes the new computer as the main IP holder, not the old one anymore. However, I have no idea how to do this. I'm running a static IP, same IP shows up for both computers on whatmyip.com, my router is a Moterola 3347, the laptop is running win 7, the pc is vista, ive made sure that my firewall is letting the proper stuff pass through and whatnot, and the proper ports are open for the programs on the laptop. If you need more specifics please let me know, and thanks ahead of time to whomever can help.

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

the ip you see is your public ip. you just need to forward correct ports on your router to your laptops private ip.

3. thelostonesway

ok thank you, ill try this out in a little bit ^^

4. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

Yup just what kingsteve said. You could make sure the private ip address coming from your router is the same on the new machine as the old machine and just give the old machine a different ip address. Then you wouldn't have to change anything in your router since the router is port forwarding to that specific private ip address probably.

5. thelostonesway

thanks guys, fixed =3

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds