Unknown program stealing focus

Discussion in 'Software' started by Balbanebeoulve, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Balbanebeoulve

Balbanebeoulve Bal. Balba. Babalabawhosemawhutsie

A random program with no name randomly steals focus. It appears on the taskbar for a moment then disappears. This is especially annoying when you're playing a game in fullscreen.

I have looked through my processes for an odd program, nothing devious appears to be there. Also, I've done a spyware scan =/. The most recent thing I've installed is my HP all in one printer.

If anybody has any idea on what to do, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Hey, Ive had the same problem and yes its very annoying so I made a registry fix for this. I included this as an attachment if your interested in using it.

NOTE: BEFORE ADDING THIS INFORMATION INTO THE REGISTRY, PLEASE DO A BACKUP OF YOUR REGISTRY.

1) Just to be safe make the backup.

2) Save this to your desktop, Extract to your desktop.
    Note: Had to compress this to a .zip file due to invalid attachment file type.

3) Double click this .reg file and click "yes" to add the information into the registry.

4) Reboot, and see if problem is resolved. If you have any problems with this, please let me know.

Thanks, Bj:)

3. Balbanebeoulve

Thanks, I'll see if it works.

4. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Hey Balbanebeoulve, Just checking to see if this fix worked for you. Let me know, thanks!

5. Balbanebeoulve

I haven't had time to game lately, but I've been in word processor programs and it seemed that I didn't lose focus. However, the program still pops up =/

6. warhawk

warhawk Private E-2

I had the same problem and noticed MY problem was the Networking icon, i dunno about it dissapearing but yeah....

7. Balbanebeoulve

I played some games today and the program continued to steal focus (even with the reg hack). =/ Any other ideas guys?

8. Eezak

Eezak Staff Sergeant

Does this problem occur shortly after you boot up? If so, have you tried using msconfig to examine your startup programs and services to see if you can spot something there that might be the culprit and disable it in the msconfig tool?

And you could try uninstalling your new printer and it's drivers to test if it's the problem. If the focus problem disappears then at least you'd have some idea of what's causing it and could, in that case, contact the printer company to see what solutions they can suggest.

Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds