creating a new partition...help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jak3y, Oct 4, 2005.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

Well installed a new 250g hd, now it's formatted, is there any way to break it up into more pieces for more partitions.
    Already in disk management, need help from there, thanks.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

3. GFGrok

GFGrok Private E-2

In lieu of buying Acronis or Magic disk, you can save your self $49.00 by partitioning the good ole DOS way. Although the DOS method works, you might find yourself more comfy buying a program like Acronis... IT'S QUITE SIMPLE with this program! If your the frugal type, then take a whack with these instructions and go through DOS.

GFGrok

NOTE:
    Partitions MUST be deleted in this order: Logical DOS Drives, then Extended DOS partition, then Primary DOS partition. Be careful, deleting partitions is irrevocable; all data on the drive will be lost permanently.

Obtain a DOS Boot Diskette from Systems

Delete Logical DOS Drives

1. Insert DOS Boot Diskette into the floppy drive. Power on machine.

2. At the DOS prompt, type:

fdisk and press the <Enter> key. If the following message appears:

Your computer has a disk larger than 512 MB. This version of Windows includes improved support for large disks,
    resulting in more efficient use of disk space on large drives,
    and allowing disks over 2 GB to be formatted as a single drive.

Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N)?
    Press the <Y> key. Press the <Enter> key.

The FDISK Options menu appears. If you do not see the message the FDISK Options menu will appear without any prompting.

FDISK Options

FDISK OptionsCurrent fixed disk drive:1

Choose one of the following: 1. Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive 2. Set active partition3. Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive4. Display partition information5. Change current fixed disk drive Enter choice(1) Press Esc to exit FDISK

Note: Option 5 is only available when a system has more than one hard drive installed

3. Press the <3> key.

4. Press the <Enter> key.
    The Delete DOS Partition or Logical DOS Drive menu appears.

Delete DOS Partition or Logical DOS Drive

Delete DOS Partition or Logical DOS Drive Current fixed disk drive: 1 Choose one of the following: 1. Delete Primary DOS Partition2. Delete Extended DOS Partition3. Delete Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition4. Delete Non-DOS Partition Enter choice: [1] Press Esc to return to FDISK Options

5. Press the <3> key.

6. Press the <Enter> key.
    The Delete Logical DOS Drive(s)in the Extended DOS Partition menu appears.

Delete Logical DOS Drive(s)in the Extended DOS Partition

Delete Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition

Drv Volume Label Mbytes System UsageE: DATA 500 FAT16 33%F: 500 FAT16 33%G: GRAPHICS 514 FAT16 34% Total Extended DOS Partition size is 1514 Mbytes (1 MByte = 1048576 bytes) WARNING! Data in a deleted Logical DOS Drive will be lost.What drive do you want to delete......................? [ ] Press Esc to return to FDISK Options

7. Enter in the Drive Letter of the drive that you want to delete.

8. Press the <Enter> key.
    The message: Enter Volume Label appears.

9. Press the <Enter> key (The Volume Label is blank unless you specified one with a name).
    The message: Are you sure(Y/N) appears.

10. Press the <Y> key and then press the <Enter> key.
    The message Primary DOS Partition deleted appears.

11. Press the <Esc> key to continue after all logical drives are deleted in the Extended DOS Partition.

Delete Extended DOS Partition

1. From the FDISK Options menu, press the <3> key.

2. Press the <Enter> key.

3. Press the <2> key.
    The Delete Extended DOS Partition menu appears.

Delete Extended DOS Partition

Delete Extended DOS Partition Current fixed disk drive: 1 Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage C: 1 A PRI DOS PROGRAMS 500 FAT16 25% 2 EXT DOS 1514 75% Total disk space is 2012 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes) Cannot delete Extended DOS Partition while logical drives exist. Press Esc to continue

4. Press the <Y> key to delete the Extended DOS Partition.

5. Press the <Enter> key.
    The message, Extended DOS Partition deleted appears.

6. Press the <Esc> key.
    The FDISK Options menu appears.

Delete Primary DOS Partition

1. Boot to your bootable media.

2. At the DOS prompt, type:

fdisk and press the <Enter>key.

If the following message appears:

Your computer has a disk larger than 512 MB. This version of Windows includes improved support for large disks,
    resulting in more efficient use of disk space on large drives,
    and allowing disks over 2 GB to be formatted as a single drive.

Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N)?

Press the <Y> key. Press the <Enter> key.

The FDISK Options menu appears.

If you do not see the message the FDISK Options menu will appear without any prompting.

3. Press the <3> key.

4. Press the <Enter> key.

5. Press the <1> key to Delete Primary DOS Partition.

6. Press the <Enter> key.

The Delete Primary DOS Partition menu appears.

Current fixed disk drive: 1 Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage C: 1 A PRI DOS PROGRAMS 500 FAT16 25% Total disk space is 2012 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes) WARNING! Data in the deleted Primary DOS Partition will be lost.What primary partition do you want to delete..? [1] Press Esc to return to FDISK Options

7. Press the <Enter> key.
    The message: Enter Volume Label appears

8. Press the <Enter> key (The Volume Label is blank unless you specified one with a name).
    The message: Are you sure(Y/N) appears.

9. Press the <Y> key and then press the <Enter> key.
    The message Primary DOS Partition deleted appears.

10. Press the <Esc> key to continue.

11. You are done.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I think most all HDD manufactures have Free utilitys to format & partition.
    These Utilities are very easy to use.
    Maxtor is MaxBlast
    WD is Data LifeGuard Tools
    Seagate is SeaTools

You can have up to 4 primary partitions.
    If you Format & partition you will lose any data on the drive.

5. jak3y

jak3y Guest

Re: creating a new partition...(80pin-vs-40pin IDE cable)

well what i basically did was explore-disk managment, then deleted the partition, and made them from scratch, my question from here is, i had 2 options at first, primary-extended, then logical on the 3rd partition i was making, no clue what i was doing there at all...lol...but it's working...basically made the first one primary, 2nd one extended, then last one i had no choice so i had to choose logical...is that right?
    i was told by a friend to use an 80pin ide instead of the 40 right now...for faster data transfer...im assuming it's safe to just turn off the comp and switch them without any data loss?
    and is the 80>40 true?

btw bazaa thanks, saved your post in my email...good for future reference:)

6. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Probably -- if I've understood you correctly.

A "logical" partition is a partition within an extended partition. You can have up to four primary partitions on a drive, but whatever space is not in a primary partition must either remain unallocated or be within an extended partition. You can have (almost) as many logical partitions within the extended partition as you want. You cannot use an extended partition unless you create a logical partition within it.

Yes, unless your machine is more than 5-7 years old and doesn't support anything better than the ATA66 transfer mode. A hard drive as large as yours will support the UltraATA133 standard. The 80-line cable has improved electrical characteristics that permit data transfers at more than twice the speed of a 40-line cable.

Both types of cable have the same 40-pin connector sockets, so you can switch the cables at will. Just make sure that they are connected the right way around at all connection points. Pin 1 is usually indicated on the motherboard and drives somewhere. On an IDE drive, Pin 1 is the pin closest to the power connection. Just make sure that Pin 1 is always connected to Pin 1 wherever you find it.
    [/QUOTE]

7. jak3y

jak3y Guest

thanks rob, buddy told me about that 80pin cable and got it yesterday...they only fit one way into the 40pins dont they? also i believe the cable has one pink colored cable on one end of the cable...assuming this is the one that's nearest the power supply pins?
    this is the motherboard on my friends computer a7v8x-x

8. bigbazza

You're welcome. Bazza

===

9. bigbazza

Will EVEREST, or similar, tell if a PC is fitted with a 80 pin versus 40 pin, hard drive cable? How would I know, without opening up the box? My friends PC is still under extended warranty and I don't want to break the seals. Bazza

===

[/QUOTE]

10. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

The slots the connectors fit into are usually keyed so that the connector will fit only one way, but the connector plugs sometimes aren't keyed. When that happens, it's quite possible to plug the cable in the wrong way around.

Yup -- if you're using a flat cable. Some of the round cables don't mark Pin 1. I've got one of them. Once I figured out which end of each connector on the cable had Pin 1, I marked them so I wouldn't lose track of it.

That motherboard supports UltraATA133, so the 80-line cable isn't wasted.

11. jak3y

jak3y Guest

rob when you say the 80pin isn't wasted, you mean, i can use it right? lol :cool: :cool:

12. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Sorry to confuse you.

Yes, you've got it right. Both the drive and the motherboard support the UltraATA133 mode, so you'll get the benefit of the 80-line cable.

Either cable will work. The 40-line cable will limit data transfers to the ATA66 mode, which does not take advantage of the full bandwidth provided by the drive and the mobo.

If either the mobo or the drive did not support anything faster than the ATA66 transfer mode, the 80-line cable would provide no added benefit, i.e., would be a waste on that machine. Data transfers will take place only at the rate supported by the slowest of the drive, mobo, or cable's capacities.

13. bigbazza

Bump. Will EVEREST tell me? See quote below. Bazza

===

[/QUOTE]

14. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Sorry, Bazza -- it only looks like I'm ignoring you. I haven't used Everest enough to know the answer to your question, so I was hoping someone more familiar with Everest might step in here.

You might want to post the question in the Software forum, or post it here as a separate thread. That should make it more likely that someone who knows Everest will see the post.

15. bigbazza

Thanks RobM. No worries. The reason I posted here is that any reply may be of use to anyone fitting a 80 pin cable (hardware), rather than starting a software post. Will consider an alternative post. Will run EVEREST again, myself, and study it slowly, as it gives a hell of a lot of info, and I may have missed it. Bazza

===

16. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Good point -- I hadn't thought of it that way.

So perhaps you might post the answer in this thread when you find it? Then I won't have to go look for it.

17. jak3y

jak3y Guest

perfect thanks guys, learned a lot and enough to know now, everything working perfectly...you guys are awesome :cool: :cool:

18. bigbazza

Any EVEREST experts out there? Where do I look for 40 pin versus 80 pin?
    I'm not exactly sure what to look for, as an answer to the QUOTE below.
    I'd appreciate details of the path, if EVEREST does/doesn't answer my query. We all learn a little, even if the answers aren't exactly what we are looking for. Bazza
    ===

[/QUOTE]

19. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"Will EVEREST, or similar, tell if a PC is fitted with a 80 pin versus 40 pin, hard drive cable? How would I know, without opening up the box? My friends PC is still under extended warranty and I don't want to break the seals. Bazza"

In a roundabout way, yes. However, Windows can tell you the same thing. If you right click on My Computer, go to the hardware tab, and select device manager, and expand the IDE/ATA controller, it will list your motherboard's IDE controller. Right click-> Properties will show you the Ultra DMA mode you are running at. On mine, it shows both the Primary and Secondary channels. On the Primary channel (where my hard drives are, it shows Ultra DMA 5 - Ultra 100). If you are running at any mode above Ultra DMA 2, you have an 80-pin cable, since it is mandatory for anything 3 and above. If you running at mode 0, 1, or 2 you might have a 40-pin cable, or you might have an 80-pin cable. There is no way to tell short of looking at the cable.

20. bigbazza

Wyatt_Earp. Thanks for the detailed reply. :D :cool: Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds