Xp not recognising my digital camera?

Discussion in 'Software' started by greybuffalo, Jun 17, 2009.

1. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

Hi,
    Ive just bought a Vivitar digital camera and my Xp does not pick it up?
    I have tried in the wizard to install,but its only got the major brands.
    The person I bought it from says his computer just picked it up,like mine did on my old camera?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If the computer doesn't see the camera, the easiest way would be to purchase a USB card reader. Take the card out of the camera and put it into the reader connected by a USB cable to your computer. You open My Computer, see the card reader as a drive and you can move or copy the pictures from the card to your computer.

What model Vivitar is it so I can find out what sort of memory card the camera uses?

3. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Private First Class

One thing maybe worth checking is the settings within the camera itself.

Look for something like "USB mode" or similar in the settings menu, try changing that and see how it goes.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

A digital camera normally comes with a disk for the drivers for XP.
    Vista will pick it up and find the correct drivers but XP doesn't do that. Ask the person who you bought it from if they still have the original disk or post the make/model and number of your camera and we can have a look around for you.

5. greybuffalo

The person,I bought it from said he did not have the disk,but his computer picked it up.
    Its a Vivitar Vivicam X325 Digital Camera - 10.0MP
    That camera installation wizard begins to work until it come to camera brands,there it has only the major names?

Attached Files:

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

7. greybuffalo

That was great..........thanks again,I had installed driver detective,yesterday,but did not run it.
    Could you tell how I can find my driver file so I can update them manually?

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Glad to help.
    It has been so long since i had XP (i use Vista and Windows 7) that i can not remember if it has "device manager" but if you click start and type "device manager" in the search bar it will soon tell you.
    If not i am sure an XP guru is not far away and will put you on the right track.

9. greasemonkey

Ya its there in XP
    device manger can be found a number of ways:
    control panel => system => hardware tab
    or right click on 'My computer' select manage then select the hardware tab.

The camera will need to be attached for it to show in device manager, you can then right click on the camera and 'update driver'

10. greybuffalo

Hi greasemonkey ,
    do you know how I can update ny drivers?

11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks for the input Greasmonkey, I have a memory retention problem and if i am not using things everyday i forget.

@Grey buffealo.
    If you go to device manager and right click whatever you think is out of date the Pc will search for newer drivers and if found will give you the option to download.

12. greasemonkey

Had a quick skim over the user manual, it shouldn't need any drivers. there is some phototag software to help, but, you shouldn't need it.
    To quote the manual

13. greybuffalo

Hi greasemonkey,
    would you please give me the link so I can download that manual?
    Ive installed,recommended by Major Geeks"Driver scanner"

14. greasemonkey

15. greybuffalo

Hi greasemonkey,
    thats a x327,takes three batteries instead of two like mine,isn't the 325 available?
    Cheers

16. greasemonkey

It wasn't listed on their site, I'm pretty sure the software and modes of operation will be the same though

17. greybuffalo

I managed to download some pictures,but now my camera is not showing,and although I have repeatedly downloaded that driver detective,nothing appears to be showing up????????as if I have no driver?
    What could that be? any idea's:cry Im puzzeled.

18. greybuffalo

Yes,
    I managed to download from my camera,before a few days ago.
    Suddenly my computer does not seem to recognize my camera,even when I go into,"my computer" it does not pick up,any mass storage there?

19. greybuffalo

USB port

It appears that one or more of my USB ports is not functioning properly.:p
    Its working for me now I changed ports............is there any way to fix faulty ports?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds