No network connection in normal mode, works in safe mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by palad, Feb 29, 2008.

1. palad

palad Private E-2

OK, bit of a puzzle here. I work as a hardware/network technician, but I've never run into this problem before. System is running XP Pro SP2. I have eliminated hardware as an issue. Network card is set to pull a DHCP address from my firewall/router, just like all the other systems. In normal mode, the network connection has a splat on it, saying that it has limited or no connectivity. It shows an IP addy of 169.x.x.x instead of an address from the assigned scope. If I go to a command prompt and try to release/renew, it keeps coming back with a 169.x.x.x addy. In safe mode w/ networking, everything works fine. I can browse the network, get to the internet, etc. The network connection is correctly assigned an addy from the DHCP pool, and everything looks great.

I have used msconfig to disable all startup items as well as all of the non-Microsoft services, but it hasn't made a difference. I have tried using netsh to reset the TCP/IP stack and winsock = no change. I am currently scanning for spyware at ewido.com, but at this point it has mostly found cookies. There is an ActiveX plugin called Downloader.Zlob as well, but it hasn't finished scanning yet, so I don't know if it will find anything else.

I'm almost to the point of running a windows repair from CD just to reset everything, but at this point I'm not sure if anything short of a full reload will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi palad and Welcome to MajorGeeks,
    I'm no network guru but it sounds like you have run through most of the troubleshooting steps.
    Any new programs or updates added that may have affected the comp? Try uninstall and reinstall.
    Any indications in the system logs?
    Someone else may have some other options for you.

If you suspect malware, go through this procedure - http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    and post the requested logs. The guys in Malware can fix you up if you do have something.
    Good Luck

3. matrixblue

matrixblue Private E-2

Try uninstalling the NIC driver then reinstalling it

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds