Automated local file transfer program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DustinJSanders, Jan 20, 2011.

1. DustinJSanders

DustinJSanders Private E-2

Hey, thanks for taking the time to view this.

I'm looking for advice/recommendations for finding an automated local file transfer program.

Here's the gist of my problem:

At work I have a root folder that all newly completed work is stored in. The work is for multiple clients with each file containing the name of the client the work is for. At the end of the day I have to manually copy all of client X's files and paste them into his archive folder on another drive. I then have to go back and copy all of client Y's files and post them into his archive folder on the other drive. I have to do this for multiple people. It's time consuming and some days I forget to do it.

I need a program that will automatically run at the end of the day and pull all the files with client X's name in the filename and put them in his folder, and do the same thing with the other clients. Everything is local, no FTP server or web-based stuff.

Unfortunately the program I work with that generates the files only dumps all the work in one root folder. I wish I could point it at multiple folders based on filenames, but I can't.

So, any suggestions? Thanks again for your time.

(Oh, and my OS is Windows 7, but I need something that's compatible with XP since that's what most of my co-workers have and they need the program too)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Dustin

Give Karen's Replicator a go as its free and will do multiple jobs, so you could set it up for various clients and move them to specific backup folders, plus you can schedule the jobs for specific times of the day.

You may also see another backup application HERE that may do what you want.

3. DustinJSanders

DustinJSanders Private E-2

Thanks David! I'll check those out. :)

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Try Cobian Backup, you can run as a service, schedule run time, set up a task for each client and copy files based on a mask.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds