Problem connecting to secure sites & -

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by netfool, Dec 23, 2003.

1. netfool

netfool Private E-2

I have a problem of connecting to secure sites & URLs w/ subdomains. I can however connect to regular sites such as google.com etc

The other day I was sitting here bored at work and decided to run Ad Aware & RegSeeker.
    Well, I blindly deleted everything that popped up on both & am now unable to do the above. To make matters worse I then decided to uninstall both programs...

I have tried installing different broswers (IE, NetCaptor, Mozilla & Opera) all with the same results - "This page cannot be displayed".

Then I figured I would try to connect to microsoft.com/windowsupdate and see if that could potentially help me out... And of course, it can't even perform a scan on my computer.

I am currently using XP Home "version 2002".

Any ideas?

2. Draith

Draith Private E-2

You still have some hope! :)

When you uninstall programs like ad-aware and spyblaster (although i haven't uninstalled those specifically before) they usually leave certain critical folders behind for those "just in case" moments. these critical folders may just be user preference folders, or they may be backup folders, for "just in case" you decide to reinstall the program. If you reinstall them, you may find you can open up the backups of all the files you deleted in the past, thereby restoring your computer and allowing yourself to run IE properly again. Hopefully.

If not, you can do a light reinstallation of windows to see if that solves your problem. With a light reinstallation (aka over-the-top reinstallation) you basically don't erase anything, or uninstall anything (windows included) nor do you format anything. You leave your OS as it is, pop the windows CD into your computer, reboot, and do an install to the same directory. At least i think that's how it goes - haven't done one in a while.

Anyway, to see information on that procedure, and similar procedures, go over to this page

o Draith

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If all browsers fail, I would say there is a fair chance you have a software firewall blocking ports to secure sites...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds