Scam?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lev, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Here's a new one on me. I received this e-mail today in my old co.uk account I no longer use. Never heard of these people. I can find a www.goldnow.co.uk site but nothing that matches the details in this e-mail. I've not bought anything in UK pounds for a long time, and certainly would remember spending that much. Is this a scam, or someone messing up on their paperwork pretty badly? If it is a scam, how does it work exactly, since they ask me to contact my credit card company? The link didn't work for me btw. Just curious really

Please note: none of these details have ANYTHING to do with me personally.

----

Dear customer!

We are unable to obtain payment from your credit card on file for your account.
    Your credit card company returned the following error to us:

Charge Not Approved

ORDER #0220215

Billed To:
    GN-SHOP
    16 Turnstone Way
    Watermead, HP19 0WW
    Aylesbury
    Order Number: 0220215
    Receipt Date: 03/11/05
    Total Amount: GBP 179.22
    Billed To: Visa

Please contact your credit card company to resolve this matter,
    or click on the LINK TO INVOICE now to change or delete your credit card information.

http://goldnow-shop.com/billing/order_0220215.html

Sincerely,
    Goldnow Customer Service.

2. star17

star17 MajorGeek

3. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Nice one Star...you shine brightly again :D

I wasn't worried as I don't have any credit cards, unless I'm a victim of identity theft too :eek: It was just strange because, for once, they got my e-mail address correct, instead of the usual catch-all lee{variable characters}@ blah.blah.co.uk

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OK...this gets wierder by the minute.

I get an e-mail from my ex today, who lives in the UK. He still runs the same e-mail as 7 years ago, and my account still remains open. He got the very same e-mail in my mailbox as below. So they have 2 of my old e-mail addresses, which made me think this is a bit more than coincidence.

As I said before, I don't own any credit cards and have ordered nothing from the UK at all, let along 179.22, which I would kinda remember!

So my question is, I used to have UK credit cards. Is it possible someone somehow has my card details from the olden days and is trying to purchase on them. How did this company get TWO correct e-mail addresses for me I haven't used in years and I have had no previous dealing with this company?

Not worried...it's just wierd is all :)

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

The only difference between the two e-mails is this. The Customer Service address used to send it are not the same at all.

1. Goldnow Customer Service <redone@dearden.net>
    2. Goldnow Customer Service" <shelve@heaton.net>

I smell a big fat rodent lol

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I'm beginning to feel like when I left the UK someone else took on my identity :rolleyes:

This morning, in one of my old, no longer used UK e-mail accounts I get an e-mail from Ebay about an unpaid item strike from a seller :eek: I haven;t used that ebay account for nearly 12 months now. It had a UK e-mail address and was too confusing for people, so I opened a new US one.

What is going on ?????? :rolleyes:

I get the last laugh though...wait until my history catches up with the identity thief :D j/k

Wierd thing is...here is the item going for 11 cents right now (big wow!) and doesn't close until November 14!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....co.uk:80/6819254021_W0QQfltZ9QQfromZR8QQfviZ1

7. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

eeewww. i dunno what a dell latitude is. 11c seems like a good price tho. :)

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

lol...maybe at that price I should buy everyone at MGs one ;)

Funny thing is that the Ebay account they refer to clearly states I am in the UK. The vedor clearly states he is only willing to ship within the US. So it isn't going to happen is it!

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

So now I'm getting e-mails from Paypal regrading breach of security. They don;t want anything...just letting me know. No links or anything...just tell me to go to my account and contact them via that if I have any questions.

All this in 1 week....something has to be going on, right?

I've e-mailed them all and told them to pull the necessary plugs :)

10. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Is this your hotmail address?

11. star17

star17 MajorGeek

12. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Special Agent Star to the rescue, again.;)

They had a documentary recently on the infamous 'Nigerian Prince' scam. Can't believe people are still falling for that one. Goes to show - Greed is eternal. I had to smile. :rolleyes:

13. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

@Mcadam..no, it's my old co.uk address which I haven't used in nearly a year. Ebay and Paypal would have known it from my old accounts with them, as would my old credit card companies. I have all new stuff now I'm in the US.

@Star17..the link was really helpful, thanks. I have had those type in the past. But this is different. It wants nothing from me, gives me no links or e-mail addresses. Simply informs me of the second breached attempt and that my account is suspended, and to contact them go via their website. That seems the logical way to go for Paypal considering all the phishing that's going on, so I'm half inclined to give this one the heads up for once. It also links in with the e-mails I have been getting through Ebay saying my account has recently been active, when indeed it hasn't...not by me anyway. I'm still waiting on a response to the e-mails I sent them both via their website links, not via ANY link given in the e-mails :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds