reassigning Win key

Discussion in 'Software' started by nashman, Nov 21, 2012.

1. nashman

nashman Private E-2

When using the left arrow on my keyboard (on my Dell Studio 1555), I often accidentally hit the key to the left of it which is a Win shortcut to the right click menu (it is in between CTRL and left arrow key) I do not ever use this key intentionally. Does anyone know how I can reassign that key so it is also the left arrow? The result would be if I miss the left arrow key, I am still hitting left arrow and can continue smoothly what I am doing. I figure it's a simple registry change, but haven't found the exact fix yet when searching.

Thanks in advance!
    -Marc

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/
    you can either disable that key which from images almost looks like an email key or map it to do what the left arrow key does.
    Note: I see it requires .NET framework 4.
    I do not have that installed on any computer in the house so I can't test it.

I'll search for other options and post back if I find anything that doesn't require .NET 4.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I just installed Key Tweak as mentioned here http://lifehacker.com/5883003/the-best-key-remapper-for-windows
    I assigned the CapsLock key to the left shift key. I rebooted the computer stated typing and hit the caps lock key and the rest of the sentence was not capitalized. I can say it works fine to reassign one key to the function of another and no .NET 4 is required.

4. nashman

nashman Private E-2

Thanks so much Plodr for recommending Keytweak! I really cannot imagine a better answer. It worked like a charm! It is a great front end fix that can remap any key without having to know the codes.

What makes this program especially great is that even if there is a key that is not on the "keyboard grid" shown on the program (which was the case for my key) you can locate and remap it with either the "Full Teach" or "Half Teach" mode. With "Full Teach" you press the key you want remapped, then press the key you want it mapped to. In "Half Teach" mode, you press the key you want changed, then choose on a drop down menu what you want it reassigned to. In any event, the point with those modes is that if you have a key with a function somewhere, you can say exactly what button you want changed by pressing the button.

Again thanks!

-Marc

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds