BOOTMGR is missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by red40y, Oct 24, 2010.

1. red40y

red40y Private E-2

i read in to many other posts with this problem, but nothing matched what was going with me.

the hd on my other laptop was trashed, but i had a like new hd sitting in a box from another laptop( was only used for about 1month) i ran it on my good computer via kingwin adapter and formatted it to slick anything bad or not necessary onit. when i put it in the laptop to do a clean install, i get
    BOOTMGR is missing
    ctl alt del to restart.
    i tryed using the win xp cd to repair the mbr but as you can see here i am. ne1 have any input on this? \new hd, no mbr.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Was this hard drive from the other laptop running Vista or Windows 7?

3. red40y

red40y Private E-2

it had xp pro on it, but i formatted it on a computer with win7, just off the usb, like a mass storage drive.

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

The only reason I asked is because I thought BOOTMGR issues were related to Vista and Window 7 only. The equivalent in XP is NTLDR. I wonder if something got added when it was formatted in Windows 7. I thought that when a hard drive was formatted by Windows 7 and it did not have existing partitions, it would create a 100MB system reserved partition at the beginning of the drive. Does your disk have this?

5. red40y

red40y Private E-2

i couldnt tell you. the disk was formatted on a computer running win7. i was under the impression that using the xp cd you could fix mbr problems as well as install clean. lol

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is the laptop booting from the CD?

Check your BIOS settings to make sure that CD is before HD in the boot order.

7. red40y

red40y Private E-2

thank you all for your help. i got fed up with fixing windows so i ran ubuntu 10.04 on it instead. re-programing the mbr is a punk up the but, so linux it it is! ha!

and im happy to say that im using the laptop in question now. =D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds