Outlook Express Identities - Switching Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by chatrang, Aug 16, 2004.

1. chatrang

chatrang Private E-2

Greetings,

Running XP Home with SP1. Reformatted my hard drive and all re-installed programs so far work well. Except for OE identities. I have two identities (same as before) and I can switch from one to the other - most times. Increasingly, however, when I switch from Main Identity to my second identity, absolutely nothing happens. All other programs and choices and menus work just fine but OE just hangs and I cannot return to my Main Identity without re-booting. When I do re-boot and click on the OE icon my second identity (the one I tried to switch to earlier) comes up. I get my messages and switch to Main Identity. No problems at all. I switch back to my second identity. No problems. However, later in the day, or next day, again when I try to switch from Main to second identity I get no reponse.

Thx for whatever help you can offer me.....

Chatrang

2. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Hello Chatrang, Welcome to Major Geeks!

Let's start with what your system specs are. How much memory do you have, what processor, etc.

Also, go to My Computer, right click, select Manage, go to Event Viewer/Applications, and look through there to see if it refers to Outlook Express at all, or if there is an Event that happens at the same time your computer hangs up.

We'll figure it out together! :)

Eric

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

5. eclayton

TheDoug, is Instant Messenger the problem? If so, would going to Tools/Options/General and unchecking the box that says "Automatically log onto Windows Messenger" help the problem?

6. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Um, not sure what you're asking. msimn.exe = MS Internet Mail & News, not Instant Messenger. I'm just saying killing the misbehaving process produces the same result as rebooting-- in this case.

7. eclayton

My bad, I thought msimn.exe was Microsoft Instant Messenger......:eek: :)

Nevermind me! :D

8. chatrang

chatrang Private E-2

Thanx so much to all those who replied to my question.

First, this not a 'messenger problem.' It is a problem with not being able to switch from one identity to anotber in Outlook Express.

Thx, too, for the suggestion of ending the task in Task Manager. Although, of course, that doesn't solve the issue, at least it releases me from the 'hang' without rebooting.

To Eric: I could be mistaken, of course, but I don't think my processor (P4 2.0) or my memory (512) has any relation to this issue. The Event Viewer/Application lists only the word 'information' under 'Type' and there are lots of those but I have no idea what they mean. The words 'Outlook Express' do not appear anywhere in this section

And, finally, a couple of people suggested an update to OE. This looks the most promising but before I do that is it wise to wait for SP2 which may have the suggested updates already in it?

Thx, once again to everyone.....

Chatrang

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds