XP Pro Bypass or Reset Logon Password NO CDROM/Floppy

Discussion in 'Software' started by takuya19ota, Nov 29, 2007.

1. takuya19ota

takuya19ota Private E-2

Hi Everyone, ok so i ve spent some time but maybe not enough to try and find a soloution on other treads about how to Reset, or Bypass the Logon Passwords for a Laptop that doesnt have a CDrom or Floppy Disk Drive.

I purchased some laptops from a company that went bankrupt and left them at my office for my new sales staff. But when I got back to my office after my vacation my staff told me that they couldnt get in since the previous company had logon passwords. We tried to log on and tried several things but cant seem to get past them.

We would like Hack pass these passwords or reset them to and then register these computers as our company's. I have tried to contact the previous company to see if they can put me in touch with the administrator but I am not counting on that since they went bankrupt and I am having trouble even contacting anyone.

So basically can anyone point me to a program or something that can be loaded by memstick during the boot up process that (preferably free without have to pay as I have seen a 1 or 2 out there) can allow me to get the passwords or reset them?

Thank you

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

If they were purchased as you say then the best bet would probably be to have someone reinstall the Operating System, primarily to remove previous data that should no longer be needed. Honestly, I can't believe they sold a computer with their data still on it so that makes it a little suspicious.

If it were me, I would reinstall the OS, if I didn't have a disc or a CD-ROM drive then I would try to find an external drive to use. There are ways to bypass the login however we're not going to assist anyone in cracking windows passwords no matter what the situation is.

If you would like to keep everything as is, the only option without reinstalling the OS would be to keep trying to contact the previous owners.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Odd that the PC's have no CD drives :confused As stated above, your best bet is to reload the Windows clean, meaning you'd format the drive. This is a good idea for numerous reasons: you'd be saving disk space by wiping out any previous data and programs, you'd also completely eliminate the chance of any viruses or other malware causing problems and jumping into your office (or home) network. Without a CD drive, this is a bit tricky, but it can be done. If you can get your hands on an external CD/DVD drive, it would be easier, but you can install Windows from a USB thumb drive as long as the BIOS supports booting from the USB port. Take a look here > http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6160062.html There are several other sites out there with similar info, but this one looked like the easiest to understand.... you'll need a 1gb or 2gb thumb drive and a working PC with a USB port (duh!) and an XP CD and valid product key.

4. takuya19ota

takuya19ota Private E-2

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback and yeah I understand what you are saying. The Portage R 100 by Toshiba dont come with CDroms. I have to use an external one. I bought the computers from the guys from an entreprenure group that well...went bankrupt after 2 years of business but posted about their situation and were trying to get rid of assets to pay their bills. I had met one of the partners a few years back at a meet so he contacted me to see if could help him out. I liked the idea adn the price was right. He said that most of their info had been deleted already so just ready to plug and play. Well not quiet since I didnt get the passwords and now for the life of me I am having trouble getting in touch with any of the 3 partners to find out who was their IT guy who set up their pcs. All in all there were 10laptops they wanted to part with, i only picked up 3 since I coudl give them to my sales staff.

Anyway we ran into another problem. 2 of them have BIOS passwords. SHIZZ!! so it means I have been spending my evenings looking into how to find backdoors or how to disconnect and re connect the BIOS battery. however battery way has not worked even after leaving it off for 8 hours to discharge. Not sure. The last one is ok and its just the windows. my company is smaller then the guys I bought from so I have only run XP home and only my computer has XP pro. These computers came with XP pro but we didnt get the disks. SO thats another challenge. I dont mind reinstalling everything and formating but I dont have the CDs that have the drivers and what not but I am sure thats not such a big deal i can re install windows if I have the disk sinces they all have their original Keys seals on the back of the laptops, so now its just how to get past the BIOS and then for the Logon Passwords, screw it if I have to and reinstall Windows again. I just thougth their might be a faster way around all of this and just get my guys working. Its Sat today and I am in the office doing all this IT stuff so hopefully they can use it by monday.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You might be able to contact Toshiba, give them the name of the company you purchased the laptops from, so they can check the regisrty records and also the serial numbers. They might be able to help you out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds