Windows Recovery cannot detect Hard Drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dunce, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Dunce

Dunce Private E-2

Hello All,

Ok, here goes, I went to start the desktop yesterday, and I got a brief glimps of the blue screen of death before it resets and tries to boot up again, and so on and so forth.

Had a similair issue with this before and Windows Recovery sorted it out no problems, this time however the Recovery utility says I have no hard drive!

Bios detects the Hard Drive and states that it is "functional"

Have tried resetting bios to defaults with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hatchback

Hatchback Private E-2

Similar issues i think ...here is my story...let me know how your issue worked out...happy hunting and holidays

HP DV6000,Windows XP,2 years old
    recent issues b4 current NON BOOT STATUS:
    Avast antivirus had been picking up some files that couldnt be deleted
    I was getting popups...
    comp. would start up on its own from hibernation state after a few minutes...this was happening for about 4-5 days

I started to clean it up
    scans, spyware scans, hijack this
    defrag

returned home after a couple days.
    when it would not boot from its hibernatory state

Black Screen: offered 3 safe modes and normal modes.>all of which resulted in a blue screen that appeared only for a few seconds asking me about potential changes in software and antivirus i think

I put the recovery image on an external drive.

I am having issues burning that to DVD.
    (using a friends hp dv9000 laptop)
    stops due to Buffer Limit error (i think that is what it said)
    CAN I USE CDS OR DVDS FOR RECOVERY DISCS
    tried nero,sonic,avs...(one of them said it couldnt fit it on a 4.7 dvd+r....I dont know why it would just make a set of discs as such)

Recovery=10.3 gigs of files

So I tried to see if I could install UNBUNTU (5.1 Linux)...it had a Boot error during the installation.

I do not think the Hard Drive is screwed...

I transferred most of the important data prior to this implosion...but I wanted to obtain a few more things.

If i need to get a new hard drive: can I only upgrade to a 160gig 2.5"
    part # 438485-001
    and is it true this model only takes 2 gigs of ram?

I am so very thankful for any and all help regarding this...I am stressed over this and want to enjoy this time of year....my birthday is coming soon too...I live in ohio...ok thats enough about me for now....THANK YOU

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds