windows doesnt detect internet connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jthomas120, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Jthomas120

Jthomas120 Private E-2

i was having some problems with my computer before so i re-installed windows. now, i cant get on hte internet because my computer doesnt detect the LAN connection. how can i set my internet back up? (i have broadband but the computer is connected to a wire router)

2. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Check the LAN Setup in XP!! If the router runs a DHCP set the XP LAN settings to "get ip automatically" -

If the router does not run DHCP -> Have a look at your Router settings -> I'll expect it to be set to
    IP: 192.168.0.1
    SubNetMask: 255.255.255.0
    ....... by default
    -> Now Check your XP settings:

Give it
    IP: eg.: 192.168.0.9
    SubNetMask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1

That's for LAN only!!!!

Now check your Router settingsd again - having a closer look at the PPTP conenction setup! If it is alright, everything should work out fine now! If not - post!!

3. Jthomas120

Jthomas120 Private E-2

well i figured out the problem but i just dont know how to fix it. the problem is that when i reinstalled windows it deleted the drivers for my ethernet card so i need to reinstall the drivers but it needs to connect to the internet to install the drivers since i cannot find a CD for my ethernet card. what should i do?

4. Jthomas120

Jthomas120 Private E-2

i put an eternet card in this computer that i took from another so i could go online and search for the drivers but windows couldnt find any drivers for the card so im not sure what to do.

5. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

download the drivers from the manufacturer's web!! - Or tell me your Ethernet card model an d I'll post a link!

6. King

King Private E-2

Yeah, even if you can only get the names off the chips or a FCCID we can find a driver for you.

-K

7. Jthomas120

Jthomas120 Private E-2

i found the drivers on the dell website and i installed them. then i plugged in the ethernet cable into the card and it still didnt work. i dont know whats goin on.

8. Jthomas120

Jthomas120 Private E-2

well i uninstalled the hardware and then reinstalled the drivers and it seemed to work....thanks for the help guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds