To Help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by orwell, Aug 8, 2008.

1. orwell

orwell Private E-2

I now get this message or a general crash message whenever I close Windows explorer. It only happens if it is the only window open e.g. if I have "my documents" open, and also have a "my computer" explorer window open, I can close that window without an error. However, if I then close "my documents" I get the error.

This began today after I ran "CCleaner." I ran this (long story) in a long-shot effort to get a game to work (very long story).

After searching for info on this error, I ran a few online virus scans (I have Norton, which claims I am clean). One site found Application.Psexec.S in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spsexec.exe and deleted the file. I have not restarted yet nor tested for the error as I'm in the middle of another hours-long virus scan.

Anyway, thanks if anyone reads this.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. orwell

orwell Private E-2

Thanks. I don't really suspect malware because several other scans show nothing. I also use spybot.

I'm wondering if it's worth attempting a repair install of XP. So far, this error isn't really a big deal, because it just crashes when you close out the last application of explorer, but I'm worried it's a sign of some catastrophic issue lurking around the corner.

Also, I guess it always could be crapware that I'm missing. I went through the first few steps just in case (up to java update, which I've done).

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The only way to rule out malware is to go thru the entire procedure and attach the logs in a malware forum thread.....then if in fact you are clean, it could be discussed in the software section. :)

5. orwell

orwell Private E-2

Thanks, I was afraid you were going to say that ;)

I am working through the process now and will attach the logs.

6. orwell

orwell Private E-2

Ok, it's done. I've posted the four log files over there.

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds