Dell-Gx260 CPU Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goldenskull, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Looking to upgrade my Processer need to find out if i can go higher then a 2.26GHZ intel pentium 4
    Small Desktop Computer
    CPU is a Intel Pentium(R) 4 Single Core 2.26/2.27GHZ Runs at 2.26
    Ram ammount 2046MB
    Paging File size 22357Mb
    Power Supply Size 180w
    52xDVD Rom Buner
    New video Card Added two months ago
    Gigabyte G force Nvidia 6200 AGP
    Windows Xp Pro
    I think the CPU socket is a 775 size.
    I usely Shop at New Egg

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Goldenskull.

We'd have to know the motherboard type, because there are several Optiplex GX260 configurations - what's the Service Tag # for that machine?

You're going to have to be careful if you are able to upgrade - that 180w PSU is probably maxing out now as it is.

3. Goldenskull

4S0XM21 is the tag

4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

I found this document, which states:

Kind of confusing, though - the Dell Tech Specs document for the GX260 states:

3.06gHz vs. 2.26gHz would be a substantial increase, but I'd advise doing some more research before you take the plunge. Maybe some of the gurus here will jump onboard with better opinions.

EDIT: oops - sorry, abekl - didn't see you there - thanks.

6. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Dell's site says it'll take up to a 2.6Ghz. I'm pretty sure it's a socket 478 pin. And I think you have to stick with 533mhz front size bus speed/512kb L2 cache models( aka Northwood, 800Mhz/1MbL2's are Prescott), though you MAY be able to find a higher Ghz P4 mobile CPU which will have the 533Mhz/512kb L2 that might work (will also be a lower wattage model, so your power supply would be OK).

StarMicro Inc. ( www.starmicroinc.net ) has a few mobile P4 3.2Ghz 533FSB models (some have 512kL2 cache memory, some have 1Mb) will run you $20-$25.

I put a 3Ghz P4 mobile in an old GX270 (had a 2.4 in it) and it runs fine.

Sam

7. Goldenskull

So is there any cpu that runs at a high speed with lower power.I can play most games so no issue there i had to upgrade my video card From a FX 5200 to a 6200 witch that did help me greatly the in board video sucked badly.So im thinking i could be pushing my power supply near max now with the new 6200 card.Is there any way i could put a new motherboard in this slim desktop.

8. Goldenskull

Is there any way i can add a new power supply

9. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Newegg sells microATX power supplys which look smaller than "regular" ATX PSUs.

If you are installing a P4 mobile they usually run 45-65watts (the regular desktop models can run from 65-95+ watts). Unless you install a AGP video card that requires a power connection, the PSU in the GX260 (usually Dell put 250watt PSUs in those) should be OK.

Sam

10. Goldenskull

yeah but this won is a 180W supply

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds