Wireless Internet in Thru wireless card, out thru ethernet card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MasterJediSpud, Jun 18, 2004.

1. MasterJediSpud

MasterJediSpud Private E-2

I'm on a wireless network (802.11b) in an apartment building.
    The network comes to my computer via a d-link dwl-520 wireless network card.
    I was told by the resident computer nerd (which may know less about networking than me) that I could put the wireless card in my computer and come out of the ethernet slot into a router.
    1) First off, is this true?
    2) If it is, how do I enable it? Internet connection sharing is working but the router recieves no signal.
    3) If it is not true, what can I do besides buying a $120.00 bridge?

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

You can NOT come out of the NIC and connect to the Router's WAN Port since you would create double NAT (you can connect to a regular port on the Router, and disable DHCP, but the Router would work as simple Switch)..

If you want to share through a Router (if your initial signal allow it). You need to get a Driverless Wireless Client card like the Linksys WET11 and plug it into the Router WAN port.

If it works you do not need ICS you can connect all you computers to the Router’s switch and share the Router.

Link to: Wireless Network - Configuration Modes..

:cool:

3. MasterJediSpud

MasterJediSpud Private E-2

OK, that takes care of that. Thanks Cat! :)

Now here's another one: Roomate and I both have xboxes w/ the xbox wireless adapter (circuit city $56.00 woo hoo), and we are having trouble connecting.
    The xboxes know the network is there, and they talk, but when it comes time to connect, the DNS Servers cannot be resolved.
    Anyone have any ideas?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds