Programs won't open

Discussion in 'Software' started by mieyebo74, Mar 22, 2010.

1. mieyebo74

mieyebo74 Private E-2

Any program I try to open, I get the popup box which asks which program would you like to use to open this, i.e. firefox etc.

I can also download, but once I try to open it, it can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Operating system, security software? Any recent downloads/infections? How long has this been happening?

3. mieyebo74

mieyebo74 Private E-2

OS is Windows XP Media Center edition.

Security Software is PC Tools Antivirus. Also, Ad-aware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Glary Utilities, Smart Defrag

Recently had the Microsoft security on there, the rogue program. Did some research, and found that Malwarebytes program can take it off. That fixed that problem. Now it's doing this other crazy stuff I described earlier.

Everything works fine in safe mode. Was going to do a system restore, but it only lets me choose this month, and this past weekend, so that isn't an option. This has only been happening this past weekend.

Got the rogue program somehow, got rid of it with Malwarebytes, now this is happening.

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I'm not certain that Mbam will fully clean your 'puter. Maybe one of the Malware fighters can opine on that. But I think your first course of action should be to run through the steps in the READ AND RUN ME FIRST sticky in the Malware Removal forum.

If you are still infected, it would be spinning wheels to try to get you right. :wave:wave:wave

5. mieyebo74

mieyebo74 Private E-2

I will try that, and post results. Thanks.

6. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

More than welcome, come back when you're given a clean bill, if you need anymore help. That is one nasty virus.:wave:wave

7. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

mieyebo,

My apologies, I should have made myself clearer.:-o

I am not a qualified malware fighter and you need to start a thread in the malware forum, it will take 2 or 3 days for a reply though so be patient. Lost of nasties going around.

I did see some things of concern in your logs but you'll have get that cleared up over there, and I am far from qualified to advise you on those things. Then, if more help is needed, please come back here. :wave:wave

8. mieyebo74

mieyebo74 Private E-2

I will do that.

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Moved your posts with logs to your malware thread. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds