Does my heatsink need a fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snaitf, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Snaitf

Snaitf Private E-2

I was recently given a motherboard for free, and it already has the CPU and a rather large heatsink installed on it, but it doesn't have a fan.

I'm wondering if it is missing, or does it just not require one?

If it does need a fan, how do I go about finding one that will fit? I see nothing on the heatsink itself to indicate a make or model.

I took some pics so you geniuses could see it for yourselves.

http://imgur.com/a/S4vDO

Also, what are those little white rubber dohickeys? Do they serve some purpose, or were those there for shipping? Should I remove them (they'll just pull right off.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

My educated guess is the white rubber things are there as part of a fan mounting system. If they are flexible, they may be designed to bend around the front and hold a fan in place against the cooling fins.

Although I may have missed something, I've never seen a heat sink this big that doesn't have or require at least one fan mounted on it.

If you can figure out the make/model of heat sink, you can Google it to find a full picture with the fan installed and possibly a parts list.

The other alternative is to buy a new heat sink with a fan already installed - be sure to buy one that is designed to fit the socket type (example: 1155, AM3+, etc) of the motherboard.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Snaitf

Snaitf Private E-2

Yes it did, thank you very much.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It looks quite similar to mine, which has a 120mm fan attached.

5. Frozwire

Frozwire Private E-2

Nice heat sink in there.. pretty sure you won't have CPU temp issues if you could find a compatible FAN with that heat sink that big ;)

6. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Reminds me of the Dell socket 775 coolers. The fan was mounted on the rear of the case, and the heat sink had a shroud wrapped around it.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds