No DVI output at monitor

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I'm posting this in software because I hope it's an easily solved software issue.

I bought DVI-I(m) - VGA(f) adapter recently, and I was using my XFX Ge6200 (PV-T44A-WANG) card to test it. The VGA output from the card apparently works fine, has done for years.

So I connect the adapter to the DVI-I output of the graphics card, and plug the VGA cable into the VGA of the adapter, but my monitor gives me the message 'No Signal' for a couple of minutes and goes black.

What do I have to do to make the signal be present ? (if it's not a hardware failure somewhere)

Dumb_Question
    8.December.2014

Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3 Phoenix Award BIOS v3.25
    Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
    RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
    PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Well, VGA is analog and DVI is digital. If memory serves, bucking a DVI to VGA or vice versa is as simple as an adapter. Going the other way if you have DVI-D requires converting the analog to a digital signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

3. Dumb_Question

Thanks, the mechanic, for your input.
    The device I got was supposed to be a DVI-I -> VGA converter (Digital to analogue, as required), but it's in one piece and comparing with one you linked to was very cheap. It has the correct number of pins for DVI-I dual link, yet the suspicion has just occurred to me that it's actually a DVI-A -> VGA converter, though it was not sold as such. Yet I could imagine that the D2A electronics could be that small...further investigation needed.

Dumb_Question
    8.December.2014

4. the mekanic

Deleted that other link, and read up on the edited one. I was hustling along a bit, and realized that I couldn't be sure that adapter was bi-directional.

5. Dumb_Question

That's ok.
    Your post planted my suspicion.

To restate: I have a DVI-I output and a VGA monitor

If it's a DVI-I output I shouldn't need an active device because the analogue signals are also there (as well as the digital ones) in the output, so it is possible to make a cheap, small passive adapter. Now, I can't understand it at all; it should work (unless them item I got was the defective one)

(I need an adapter for a second card which has only DVI-I outputs, but I wanted to quickly to test the adapter before I put that card in so that I wouldn't think the card was defective (which it may be), when n fact it was good)

Dumb_Question
    8.December.2014

6. the mekanic

That's all well and good, but what type of interface is on the monitor?

7. Dumb_Question

Monitor has an integrated cable with a male 15 pin D-sub connector at the end. This connector is used to connect to the card's VGA output with which it worked, and was before that working with the VGA output of the m/b's integrated graphics (VGA again). The monitor is a Compaq 7500 CRT (with integral cable) and plug-in IEC power lead

Dumb_Question
    8.December.2014

8. the mekanic

That's some old equipment. I haven't seen an AGP card in a while.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the adapter may be faulty, but it seems there are a few types of this card. Do you have any other outputs besides the two DVI connectors?

I'm a bit suspicious that if there are no analog connectors, it may be DVI-D. Do you have a digital monitor you can test it on?

If I'm seeing this in my head proper, you are replacing a graphics card with a new one, and testing the connector with the old one?

9. Dumb_Question

Yes, the PC is from 2004 I think, the card (Ge6200, 'SVGA/TV', DVI, VGA outputs p/n given) is from a few years later, both from new.

The adapter might be faulty, but my impression is likely that's not the case as it's a one piece sealed unit. In a correction to my previous post, I think the only way this system could be failing is if card's output is DVI-D (or something's broken, or not set up properly). I think the adapter would give VGA output if the input were from a DVI-I or DVI-A. Looks like a DVI-I output from the card though. However, a new one is being sent to me which I should have in a couple of days
    - that's my plan

As I said I wanted to confirm the adapter worked with the Ge6200 before I tried the Ge6800GT dual DVI output card (no VGA output) - I don't have the p/n handy, but it's an XFX card (card is not existent on their website), but it also has an 'SVGA/TV' output - a round DIN-type socket that doesn't seem much use (also on the Ge6200 card)

I do have another monitor, unlikely that's got a digital input either though (I'll check), I'm using it as VGA device with another machine atm.

Dumb_Question
    9.December.2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds