Screen is gone, flashes pulses, when right click it opens last closed program

Discussion in 'Software' started by sfcdude, Jan 4, 2006.

1. sfcdude

sfcdude Private E-2

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 with XP Home, and my screen has been taken over, the background picture does not show up and when I right click it has the choice of Open and scan with my virus software. when I click open it will open the last program I had running. when rebooting my picture shows up in the sequence and then it disapears. The screen has a 'Pulsating' to it it will flash a light grey screen for a short second. After a reboot I am able to see the display properties correctly. I have run ad-aware, spybot, Microsoft adaware, McAfee free trial version and AVG virus software. the problem started last month when spy sheriff was downloaded, a freind found the desktop.html running and partially fixed that problem, I was unable to change my desktop properties at all.

Any suggestions?

I have followed a thread on removing 'spy sherif' and have still not been able to return my screen to normal.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Can you boot into [SAFE] mode? If so, try removing the drivers and Device for Monitor and Graphics interface. Also check the pins on the end of the cable from the monitor for bent pins.

3. sfcdude

sfcdude Private E-2

Sorry, I should have stated it is a laptop and yes I can boot in Safe Mode

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you can boot into [SAFE] mode, then the LCD and video Chipset are okay. Do as I stated, and uninstall the Monitor and Display Adapter from Hardware manager, and let XP find the device when you reboot. If doesn't correct, try a "Repair" install of XP. Possibly bad device driver got installed from Windows update or by user.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds