Pale Moon vs. Waterfox.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sgt Wilson, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Sgt Wilson

Sgt Wilson Private E-2

Hi, I noticed that Pale Moon is listed as a 64-bit browser.
    I've been using Waterfox, also a 64-bit browser and was wondering how they compare.

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I can't be positive on all of these but I think Waterfox doesn't auto-update, I also think it's missing spell checking, privacy mode, ad filtering and pop up blocking. Maybe someone with more experience with it can jump in and give you a better insight, Somethings may have changed since I last used it , I prefer Palemoon.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Waterfox and Palemoon are both good, depends on the interface you like.

I have a suggestion if you use the K-lite codec pack or other Media Player Classic movie player. Windows does not allow a 64 bit OS to load a 32 bit program and play nicely. This means Media Player Classic will not run .swf files with your 64 bit browser. MPC cannot load Flash and says it needs Flash for Internet Explorer. Dump the 64 bit browsers (IE and others) and use Firefox. This allows MPC to find the 32 bit browser's Flash and play .swf files.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

DOA,
    With all due respect, what has Pale Moon & Waterfox have to do with MPC & SWF files?
    Both MPC - Home Cinema & Black Edition play SWF files, no plug-in needed.
    What am I missing? :-o

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have 2 computers with Win 7 64 bit.
    I have 23 32 bit programs installed (verified by firing up Revo Uninstaller). Revo shows 47 items I can choose to uninstall but some of these are things like backup and C++ so I did not count them. I haven't noticed any problem with these 23 programs.

6. Sgt Wilson

Sgt Wilson Private E-2

Hi all, thanks for your efforts so far.
    I'd like to point out that I've had no problems with Waterfox so far, it's website only seems to refer to it's rapidity, there are no references to the abilities for Palemoon as listed by Nick T but I've not noticed any problems due to their lack.
    How do the different codec packs compare and which pack is best overall?
    I'd meant to ask this as a separate thread but perhaps it has relevance here as well.

7. plodr

I don't install codec packs. I use VLC is Windows, Linux and Android. It has what I need to play the video.

8. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

History
    http://superuser.com/questions/106258/how-to-play-swf-files-without-browser
    I still see the problem on Win 7 / 10 clean 64 bit installs that have 64 bit browsers as default. Installing VLC or K-Lite should work, but they both fail saying "Flash player for IF is needed". If the clean install is set to 32 bit IE and Firefox VLC and MPC can load the flash player with no problem.
    Typical discussion:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1711450

There is probably a 64 bit solution but I have not found a reliable one.

I was not clear earlier, Windows 64 bit does not allow a 64 bit program to load a 32 bit codec cleanly.

9. plodr

Ah, now that I will take your word for.

On our two 64 bit netbooks, I have installed 32 bit versions of FF and Palemoon.

10. gregzeng

gregzeng Private E-2

Firefox is also available as a 64 bit program. If that jams for me, I switch to Cyber or Water. It remembers exactly the downloads, pages, etc that I had when I exited one, for the other brandname. Not sure if it rmembers, when I switch between Linux & Windows-10.

Chrom* based (including Vivaldi, Opera & many, many others) do not have these "limits".

Firefox-based browsers include:
    Airfox, Cyberfox, Ice, K-meleon, PaleMoon, Polybrowser, Seamonkey, Waterfox, ...

Security conscious browsers, based on Firefox are:
    Comodo Icedragon, Piratebrowser, Jondo And Jondofox

Only one Firefox-based program is allowed to run in Windows-10, at a time. Using Goscreen, I have 4 seperate (software) windows, & two hardware monitors running at the same time.
    Chrom*-based browsers allow many browser-brands to run at the same time.

There are many other Firefox & Chrom*-based browsers for Linux, but that is another topic.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds