Front Panel Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by attiliov, Jan 29, 2008.

1. attiliov

attiliov Private First Class

I recently built my own computer and the case comes with front panel audio ports, unfortunatly the cable that plugs into the mother board for those ports is too short and doesn't reach the pins on the motherboard, so the obvious solution is to splice the wires, i was wondering if i need to get a special audio cable to splice into it or can I just use any wire?

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Surprising that the wire is short, by how much is it too short?
    I'd imagine that standard wire would be ok though I'm not 100% certain.

3. attiliov

its short by about 1 inch, the entire length of the wire is about the distance from the front panel to the edge of the pins, so their isn't enough length to actually bend the wire in order to plug it into the pins

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Are you sure it's not been tied up in the front panel of the case?
    Mine came like this and had to be untangled.

5. attiliov

positive

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Keep in mind that I have never built a computer so what I'm about to suggest might be idiotic. Can you work from the other end? Is there such a thing as a plug extension? Something with a motherboard plug on one end and then a plug that plugs into the original cable with the mobo plug and the wires for the front audio ports?

7. attiliov

thats exactly what the cable coming out of the front audio port does, except its too short

8. attiliov

plodr, quick question, are you talking about an extension cable??

9. monkeytoys

monkeytoys Private E-2

i don't see why you couldn't splice it. it might take away some quality. depending on the maker of the case, you could contact them and see if they will send you longer cables.

10. attiliov

alright, so you don't think that the type of wire matters?

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Yes, I was suggesting an extension cable but I have no idea if such a thing exists.

12. attiliov

i'm not sure if they exist, i have looked and haven't found any so i'm assuming they don't exist but i may be wrong

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds