Protest: America bodysnatching a British student

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by alan12345, Jun 28, 2012.

1. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

The USA are not content with invading foreign countries to steal equipment alleged to be implicated in copyright infringement,
    they are now extraditing a British student to serve a ten year sentence for a FALSELY alleged crime that has a maximum U.K. sentence of six months.

Wikipedia's founder Jimmy Wales has launched a petition which I consider worthy of full support.
    They urgently want 100,000 signatures by Friday.
    After 3 days they are up to 86,000+

http://www.change.org/petitions/ukh...ion-of-richard-o-dwyer-to-the-usa-saverichard

Regards
    Alan

2. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

I have no problem with the Americans in general.
    In fact you have my sympathy because you are victimized by SOPA more than I.

I am however greatly offended by the deceit and corruption by media copyright holders that inflate their losses from downloads by including copyright infringement of USA brands of clothing.
    Only a politician - British as well as American,
    can believe that Broadband Internet accommodates downloads of Sports Trainers :)

The FBI invaded New Zealand to enforce an extradition.
    What will stop them invading England for the same purpose
    http://dissidentvoice.org/2012/03/the-fbis-misadventures-in-new-zealand/

I do not practice or support copyright infringement,
    but the copyright holders already take action in British courts against alleged copyright holders,
    so have no justification in snatching their British victim out of British justice.
    Hence the petition has my full support.

Regards
    Alan

3. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

At first, I thought you were bashing the USA and I was about to get my pitchfork out and chase you outta here good but then I calmed down and read your 2nd posting and well, you're safe now. :-D

However, I can not sign this in good conscience when he knowingly partook in something that he knew was illegal. I do think that RIAA, MPAA, etc do overstep their bounds and are ridiculously always trying to squeeze money out of the "little guy" but no matter how much I might agree (personally) with what the guy did, illegal is still illegal. As for the matter of US taking it out of Britain's hands well I guess it depends on where the server was located (I didn't see where) but if it was on US soil then technically it's a US "crime".

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Agreed If it was on us soil then it is a crime.

Most of the stuff i really don't care about i try to Ignore most of the dumb stuff now a days.

But the A lot of the US laws are quit dumb and point less.

5. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

PLEASE READ MY LINK IN MY FIRST POST.
    It states
    Also please read this violation of natural justice :-
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/24/richard-odwyer-extradition-threat-tvshack-net

On the morning he was arrested without warning, his mother was also dragged at 07:00 am from her home which is 142 miles away from his University.

I believe the petition is fully worthy of support.

Regards
    Alan

6. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

You do realize that signing an internet petition is in no way going to affect whether or not he is extradited, right?

7. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia founder, considered it worth launching this petition
    132,229 (and rising) have considred this worth supporting.

Responses to my post have included false accusations that Richard is a criminal,
    and that his server was on American soil.

The petition I linked to included several links such as
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/24/richard-odwyer-extradition-threat-tvshack-net

Apparently the U.S. Prosecutor demanded incarceration until extradition to the USA,
    NOT because he was guilty,
    NOT because he was even charged with an offence,
    BUT for the convenience of USA Internet Censors to determine from evidence on British soil whether Richard even has a case to answer.

I thought extradition was intended for terrorists and murderers and the like,
    not as a deterrent against owners of external to USA Servers and sites that carry non-malicious links.

My above interpretation is supported by this extract from the link to
    Again, I ask for support for this petition, which is already supported by some politicians.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/ukh...ion-of-richard-o-dwyer-to-the-usa-saverichard

Although the petition is to the British Government I believe American support would be welcome.

We are all victims of SOPA and PIPA etc.

Regards
    Alan

8. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Neither SOPA nor PIPA actually made it to be signed into law, by the way.

And trust me...an internet petition is going to have no bearing whatsoever on what governments decide regarding extradition of anyone. Unless said petition was to change the extradition agreements between the countries in question, but then all that would do is get the change to policy on a ballot, which would then need to be voted upon in an election. In order for that to happen, it would need to be signed only by those with the right to vote in the country or countries where the proposed change was to be made. It would not, however, be retroactive if it made it through the process and was adopted as law, which means it would in no way affect the outcome of this case.

Just because someone from Wikipedia thinks it's a good idea does not mean it's going to do any good. Pretty much every protest against anything is because someone thinks it's a good idea, but that doesn't mean they're going to actually have any impact on anything.

9. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

But that does not mean they will not come back again, perhaps under different names.

10. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

True. But your continuous mentioning of them implies that this particular court case is directly caused by their implementation, which is untrue. :)

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I don't have any sympathy for him either.

I hate copyright laws,I think they over reach but if your making £140,000 a year in revenue from your website you have to ask yourself why am I making so much money? To make money you have to create wealth,goods or services,if you create goods you must know where those goods are from,if you provide a service you must know what that service provides.

I don't buy he's just a naive student,no one that smart could not know his business was not operating in the grey area of law,even if he didn't know what he was doing was wrong he knew damn well what he was doing was morally wrong.

I have every sympathy for individuals who fall foul of copyright law for personal consumption but not for companies who make money from copyright infringement.

He won't be extradited but even if he is keep in context the amount of revenue the site was making £140,000 per year,this isn't a small case or a small crime,he isn't a hapless "22 year old"student in which butter wouldn't melt so don't fall for it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds