MS Outlook 2003 "Enter Network Password" box popping up

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraR, Dec 27, 2007.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I'm running Outlook 2003 on XP

Today I changed my verizon password, so went in and changed the POP3 password in my Outlook.

Now I get the "Enter Network Password" box. I click the save password box and ok, but it keeps popping up repeatedly. The password and user namer Are correct.

I can send emails. I can't receive them.

I have tried to add another profile. I have also gone to microsoft and tried to troubleshoot. I can not open my Outlook in safe mode.

I have also made sure it was not my firewall or antivirus that was the problem.

My question:

I have the installation CD. Can I do a reinstall? If I can, do I need to uninstall it first? Will all my saved emails be gone?

Thanks

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

check the smtp in your account,I have this problem,too.If you can't receve the mails then your smtp is not right.Checkthe manual from your ISP.

3. LauraR

Well, it was set up right, but I changed the smtp port from 25 to 587 and that did it (it was one of the suggestions on Verizon's site). Hopefully, that will fix it for good because my install disc is not functional (gotta love Dell).

Why would the port make a difference...particularly considering my isp is verizon? Just curious.

Thx btw...I never would have tried that if you hadn't suggested something wrong with the smtp (even though that should have been the first thing I checkedrolleyes)

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I'm happy that I can help you.Stay well.

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

STMP is for sending mail, default port for normal non encrypted mail being 25, sometimes port 25 is blocked so isps choose different ports, port 587 is just another port people can use that your isp provides.

6. LauraR

Thanks Cman. It was working fine though, until I changed passwords and tried to update my outlook. Why would that trigger the necessity to change ports? Again...just curiousity.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds