How do I keep microsoft from snooping?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ironman6626, Jul 25, 2015.

1. ironman6626

ironman6626 Private E-2

Hello all,
    My notebook is an Asus T101MT I purchased this back in the Spring of 2011 with Windows 7 pro installed. Starting sometime last week I am getting a pop up window (from i assume microsoft) stating I am running a unregistered version of Windows. This is a new one on me, and I wonder if Microsoft Windows Essentials may be responsible for this. Which leads me to my second question. Should I dump Microsoft Windows Essentials for another anti virus?
    I've used Avasti and AVG in the past, but haven't had any issues over virus protection until this annoying pop up reminder.
    Any thoughts? Thanks in Advance.

Attached Files:

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Do you have a Genuine copy of windows 7 pro installed?

3. ironman6626

ironman6626 Private E-2

Yes!, of course! As I stated in my initial post.
    Maybe I didn't make that 100% clear.
    It was the factory install.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

ironman6266...

Obviously this was a mistake. It happens sometimes with Windows. Actually it's not all that uncommon.

Here is information from MS:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/genuine-advantage

Don't be afraid to call MS about this. I have had to do it, and I am sure others here have verified keys over the phone. I found MS is very sensitive to hear your side of the story when it comes to this issue...more than I thought they might be...

5. LauraR

I wanted to make sure and it wasn't 100% clear.

Your antivirus has nothing to do with that warning popping up. I would do as AtlBo said and call MS to verify your Windows so it doesn't lead to other issues such as not getting security updates for your system.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm still not clear on this.

ASUS lists this as coming with Windows 7 Premium or Starter, not Pro.

What are your startup items? You can see them in msconfig?

What are your third party services? Go to msconfig and hide all MS services.

7. LauraR

I'm not sure, but I think it was a mistype and it was supposed to say Windows 7 pre installed since they thought they made it clear it came with the Windows installed from the factory.

8. ironman6626

ironman6626 Private E-2

Hello again everyone!
    I didn't want to let this hang and I want to post another follow up.
    This turned weird once again. I did not contact microsoft about this issue. I did however go to control panel and opened SYSTEM and displayed the description,(which displayed the registry number) and have never since had the pop up again. I really don't get it. Thanks to all that responded!....:)

9. AtlBo

ironman6626...

You must be livin right :). Seriously, the validation pop up has happened to me, and it is common that Windows checks the validation of the OS without warning. It should only do that once on an installation of Windows, but if you ever have to reinstall it could happen again.

When you look at Control Panel->System, does it say at the bottom (just above the registration number) that Windows is activated? If so, you have no problems...

10. ironman6626

ironman6626 Private E-2

Yes, it certainly does. I just found it strange. I have never done a reinstall. THX

Attached Files:

11. AtlBo

ironman626...

You're welcome. I've had it happen a couple of times with Windows 7 and a couple of times before that. It always scares me out of my wits. Glad it's all good for you...

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds