highlighting in Outlook

Discussion in 'Software' started by diogees, Sep 12, 2013.

1. diogees

diogees Private E-2

I use Outlook email a lot personally and professionally and I and my correspondents have become accustomed to my extra effort to highlight in color important words and phrases in my emails. I can't do that anymore. The icon is gone. Did I disable it somehow? Did Outlook kill my favorite feature? Can I get it back? (Or must I change email programs?) Any help appreciated.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I presume you mean the Outlook program bundled with Microsoft Office, not outlook.com. What version of Outlook are you using? You are talking about the Text Highlighter button normally displayed next to the Font Color button. Is that right?

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What Outlook version? What format are these email messages (Plain Text, HTML, RTF)? Are you using Word as email editor?

4. diogees

diogees Private E-2

I have the version of Outlook that was forced on me when my Hotmail was discontinued. Not bundled with Office. I guess it's Outlook.com.
    The color highlighter icon disappeared off my email compose screen. It now offers only bold, italic and/or underlining.
    I am very grateful for the willingness to help one obviously in need.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If the person receiving the email, has their end setup for "Plain Text" only, your hi-lighting and pretty colors, along with pretty formatting, will be a waste.

If you want to get the person's point, keep the email simple, to the point, and highlight at the beginning what your points are going to be, in the attached document.

Leave the long winded writings to a PDF or document that they can ask for, rather than compose it in an email. Remember, that emails are not private, and anyone can see what is in them; unless you use PGP to secure the document, along with a password, that only you and the other party knows.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

See the 6th icon (the capital A with a line under it)?
    [​IMG]
    That changes the color of text.

7. diogees

diogees Private E-2

Thanks. That highlights my problem. I do not have that icon any more. I have only the bold, italic and underline icons.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I was looking at options (the gear on the right top near username) under more mail settings. I headed to Writing email and I can see no way to edit the icons that are shown.
    [​IMG]

You do have Rich Text selected and not Plain Text or edit in HTML selected, correct?
    Those choices are under the Options in the menu bar.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds