Two studpid questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by claptrap, Oct 29, 2008.

1. claptrap

claptrap Private First Class

I have two stupid questions about keyboard and sound. :-o

The first one is easy:

I have laptop with American keyboard layout but set to UK layout in software. Now I need the back slash but cannot find it! I know somewhere is a setting where I can view the current layout (and I think) but where can I find it? And I think I can click the software key if I cannot find out the key combination to bring that symbol out.

And this one is even easier:

I've got my first headset but I suspect my mic jack is to blame because I cannot hear my recording in the software I used (skype test). Unfortunately I have't got another computer to test the headset but someone reminded me of Windows own recording facility (in accessories) but I don't know how to use it, there is no 'record 'word anywhere in menu.

2. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

uh..backslash is above the enter key or at least i should be \ \ \ \\

and the mic question
    there should be a little mic icon at the bottom of the taskabar turn that on
    or go to control panel then sound speech and audio
    then sounds and audio
    a window will pop-up clcik the voice tab then click on test hardware

3. claptrap

Thanks for the advise. The keyboard button is where you say it is, but all I get is #; none of the alt, fn, or ins keys make any difference, i.e. there is no symbol above it (the upright dotted line is somewehre else, though I cannot remember where.

I tried the sound and acording windows its all ok, though I could hear no sound. I tried skype again, too and it's definitely the same problem.

I had bought two headsets (one for me and one for my son). The cheap one via USB was working fine yesterday, albeit a bit on the loud side but then it stopped working altogether. So now I have two non-functional headsets! :-(

4. claptrap

Thanks for the advice, I have tried it now a few times.

The key is where you say it is but all I get is # - none of the alt, ins or fn keys make any difference (the upsight dotted line is somewhere else, though I can't remember where)

The hardware test came as ok but the problem persists, though I made sure the mic volume was not mute.

In fact, I had bought TWO headsets, one for me and one for my family. The cheap one is attached via USB and worked fine, although it was slightly on the loud side, but then it stopped working altogether, although I hear the usual Windows ping when I plug it in or remove it - the 'safely rmove hardware' icon doesn't show as it didn't from the beginning. So Now I have TWO non-functional headsets! :-(

5. claptrap

I'm afraid neither did help... is buying an external keyboard the only solution? I don't hate writing with this one, got used to it, despite the @ being swapped with " and other oddities. But if it didn't clash with the laptop keyboard, at least it would have the number pad, which I'm used to: much faster than going to insert symbol in Word, as I use some odd letters quite a lot. Would there be any problem? My USB mouse seems to work ok, although it doesn't disable the touch pad so I can still swipe it with my sleeve by accident... I HATE TOUCHPADS!!!

The best mouse I had was one from Ms, a BIG tracker ball in the middle and 5 customisable buttons - I used index, middle and ring fingers together with the ball and got superior control unparallelled with anything else I've tried, including tablets, and it felt very natural straight away... They don't do it any more; the last official drivers were for Win98, though I once found someone had made drivers for XP, too. I have two of them but the moving parts are wearing out, making them very stiff. Shame that, I have never seen mouse like that since.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you want to change the keyboard to U.S. and you are on XP:

Start>Control Panel>Regional and Language>Language tab->click Details

In the default language dropdown check if U.S. is available if so select it. If not click Add in the lower box and select English(U.S.). Click OK and back in Default Input Language make sure U.S. is selected.

7. sach2

Also in Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices>Audio tab>Sound Recording>Volume check to see which item is Selected and that there is volume.

8. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

if you want the back slash on a us keyboard mapped to english (uk) then try this,

right Alt + the minus key,

i know this works as i have a us keyboard and i live in the uk

Attached Files:

9. claptrap

Hawklord, I went to Recdording control and the Mic Volume is selectedand volume is all the way up. I don't think this should have anything to do with it, but after the usb was working fine, I plugged it into a USB2 hub and it didn't work - after that it wouldn't work even plugged directly in. The hub works fine, I've got my external HDD and mouse plugged into it now.

[FONT=&quot]Sach2 Sorry it didn't work, all I get is [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]¥ when I press the two buttons. I thought maybe I should Z at the same time but that didn't work either - I can't be sure without seeing but I remember there is one or two extra buttons left of Z or sometimes the bacslash is above Z. However not in this Keyboard. Arrow keys and the other group of buttons outside the laphabet group are printed on some of the letter keys but I haven't been able to activate those either. :-( I was so hoping I wouldn't need the backslash for a while, until I've got myself a PC.
    [/FONT]

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The US keyboard has the backslash key positioned aside of the ] key (qwerty row, far right) whereas the UK keyboard places this key between the shift and the Z key.

If you have time, press all the keys in order and see if any produces the \ .
    Otherwise, Programs then Accessories then Accessibility then On-Screen Keyboard. If I were you, I'd create a shortcut on the desktop and click it whenever I needed a symbol I couldn't find. This will copy and paste the symbol that you need.

Last, the ASCII way of creating / is holding down the alt key whilst pressing 4 then 7 (it must be on the number keypad). On a notebook, you will need to hold down both the function and the alt key to use the numbers on your letter keys. So hold down Fn and Alt then press 4 and 7. Does a \ appear?
    (I'm in linux on an eeepc and that works differently). I'll fire up a windows notebook and see if it works as I've described it.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Since I can't edit the above, I'll add that I fired up a windows notebook, held down the FN and alt keys then typed 4 followed by 7 and a / appeared.

12. claptrap

I tried it and got € ! I suppose that'll com handy some day but I desperately need that backslash to get into a certain server. :cry I guess I'll have to walk to there, in that wind and rain to prove that my laptop doesn't have a backslash and let the organisation scratch their heads... it doesn't give me any extra time for completing my assignment though. :(

I haven't had time to find if this God forsaken place has a computer repair shop, who could have a look if the problem is my laptop or the headsets - though two going wrong seem a bit unlikely - with recession and all, no-one can really afford not send faulty stuff back. I was so looking forward to saving money on VOIP. And my son is looking forward to a decent headset for games.... :(

13. sach2

Did you try the on-screen keyboard plodr mentioned?

Depending on where you have to paste the \ just copying one from this thread should allow you to paste it in most Windows applications.

14. claptrap

Yes, I did but I couldn't get it working. However, I can now copy and paste it from here :wave but what a hassle to open this thread every time! I haven't tried command line in Run (dos box) yet: I need that to run some very old software (e.g. game in Qbasic). I prefer many of the old, dos games, when witty humour and good story line/game play was more important than flashy graphics. :)

15. sach2

I realize it is not a fix but you could put the entire server address/password/whatever in a notepad txt document on your desktop for easy access.

16. claptrap

Thanks, I geuss it is the only way, at least until I get round to aquiring that external keyboard. :)

I took the two headsets to a repair shop where they tested them in two different machines. It turns out that the mic of Creative set is definitely faulty but the other works fine, problem being my machine not initialising it properly. Of course it worked first time in the shop: and fist time I saw it appear in My Computer. Sure enough, when I got home, it wouldn't work until I had sworn at my machine and threatened it will end up as Frankenstein monster's brain. Now it works but it still won't show as a device in My computer (like it did in the shop). I won't dare to take it off the port again, ever! ;)

I always say that computers are modern magic: we use them with luck but we don't really know all the time what's happening under the bonnet! :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds