Memory Usage

Discussion in 'Software' started by Yorky4U, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Yorky4U

Yorky4U Private E-2

While investigating why my laptop seems to be running slower I noted that my system was still using 340Mb of memory even when all programs other than my anto virus and firewall had been stopped.

I opened my task manager but closed it again because I simply don't know what applications should or shouldn't be running.

Two years ago I bought my PC with only 256Mb of RAM......but because it was running painfully slow, I upgraded by adding 512Mb more memory.

Is there any way of determining what applications are necessary for my system and what applications aren't?

:confused:

2. itguy

itguy Private E-2

For starters: go to http://www.sysinternals.com/ProcessesAndThreadsUtilities.html and pick up the free utility autoruns. It does not require any installation just run the exe. It will show you a ton of info. Once it opens go to the Logo n tab and review the processes that start automatically when you boot your system. If you delete programs from the list here, they will be deleted form the registry.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT delete explorer or userinit. They are responsible for what you see and logging you in to Windows.

Use Google to look up all the other apps in the list by the program name (program.exe). If it's not something you need just delete the entry. This will not remove it from your system but stop it from running at startup. Once you clean up the startups, reboot the system and see how your performance is.

If you want to be thorough, open task manager and go to processes. Click the box for "list processes from all users". Google the processes on by one and see what you have running. You may stumble into some spyware or virus that is sitting there consuming your memory and processor.

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> While investigating why my laptop seems to be running slower. I opened my task manager but closed it again because I simply don't know what applications should or shouldn't be running. Is there any way of determining what applications are necessary for my system and what applications aren't? Yorky4U <<

What "applications" are necessary? By "applications" do you actually mean that you want to find out more about the services, processes and .exe's that are currently listed as "running" on your system and which show up in your task manager when you press Ctrl + Alt + Delete?

Since you posted that you bought the PC only two years ago, I'm assuming that you are using Windows XP (next time be sure to tell us first!) The following link lists how to "Optimize Windows XP Services"

Additionally, you can go here to get info on any services and exe's or processes you are wondering about: ProcessLibrary.com - Free Process Information

There are three separate categories listed there:
    Process Search – Use to search running processes/services
    DLL Search – Use to search running .dlls
    Directory – Use to search running .exe (listed from A to Z)

You can also download a very handy freeware tool (from that same site) which is called Quick Access InfoBar Free Process Info Bar. Once installed; you simply click on the tiny blue "i-button" next to each listed process to instantly get the latest definitions and advice; though your browser, regarding all the processes running in the Windows Task Manager. Quick Access InfoBar is compatible with: Win 98/ME/2000/2003/XP and requires an Internet connection and a browser.

Note: Take special care and exercise caution when disabling services Make sure that you know what they are, what they do and what happens after you disable them (before "disabling" any services, I mean). If you disable many services at one time, you will have no idea which service caused a certain piece of hardware or software to stop functioning.

Good Luck!

4. Yorky4U

Yorky4U Private E-2

I guess you're right.....I should have explained that my Windows system is XP and 'applications' was a bad choice. I should have said 'processes'.....and all 55 of them too.:eek:

when I used 'system mechanic' on my Windows 98, it was ever so simple.....whereas with XP there are so many more processes and they seem to grow daily.

But thanks for the tips and the links

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I guess you're right. I should have explained that my Windows system is XP and 'applications' was a bad choice. I should have said 'processes' and all 55 of them too. When I used 'system mechanic' on my Windows 98, it was ever so simple, whereas with XP there are so many more processes and they seem to grow daily. But thanks for the tips and the links. Yorky4U <<

Oh, anytime... My pleasure really and since this is your 2nd post here a hearty "Welcome to Major Geeks!" ;)

Yes, whenever you post here in this forum it's always best to provide us with - at the very least - the exact name of your operating system that you're running because the answers given and their outcomes can be very different. As you said, there are huge differences between what runs on Win 98 and Win XP, for example.

Also if you are asking specific questions about say your hard drive or memory for example; it’s a good thing to specify the size of the HD or the amount of RAM in your memory, etc and even the brand name if you know that too. The more specific the questions are; the better (and faster) the answers will come from other forum members.

Note: If you do not know exactly what is installed; a good tool to use to find out what is installed in your computer is called the belarc advisor which will list a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware and displays the results in your Web browser which you can then save as an HTML page for future reference.

Good Luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds