Portable HD not recognized.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joki2400, May 1, 2013.

1. joki2400

joki2400 Private E-2

LaCie Rikiki 500gb external drive, powered through USB cable (same one data flows through).

Had it for a year, used off and on. A week ago I backed up most of my family pics on it.

Yesterday... disaster struck! :(

Tried on 3 separate computers running Vista, XP and Win7. On all the computers it brings up a message USB Device Not Recognized.
    The power ON light is not indicating a problem. From how it sounds, it spins up almost noiselessly, and then keeps spinning quietly, like it used to when it was working.

It does NOT show up in Drive Manager, so the drive letter assign fix cannot work. Tried that.
    In Device Manager it shows up as Unknown Device on a USB hub, the scan for hardware changes fix doesn't work either. Tried that too.
    Drivers aren't an issue because, first of all, I never needed one before for this drive, and second, the driver auto fix doesn't work.

Can't even run recovery software because it doesn't show up as a drive (or anything).

I'm at my wits end with this; you are my only hope!

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I googled your usb drive and went to the web site of the company that made your usb drive and found these programs http://www.lacie.com/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10460 did you try any of these or did your pc still not recognize you drive?
    also did you try what it's company maker suggested to to try to fix the problem your having??http://www.lacie.com/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10460&guideid=10168

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  3. joki2400

joki2400 Private E-2

Yes, I tried switching cables and computers.

The three downloads they have there are for extra functionality. Backup assistant turns the HD into a backup disk, private-public is for sharing, and USB boost is for USB boosting.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try connecting the drive directly to the computer. The problem may be the USB hub and not the drive. It's getting power but not data connectivity

Also, I recently had the same type of problem with my external drive which I DO connect directly to my computer — it turned out that the cable had developed a break or short somewhere in the wires. New cable - problem solved! :)

5. joki2400

joki2400 Private E-2

What do you mean directly to the computer?

6. joki2400

joki2400 Private E-2

Like via a dock or adapter?

7. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

When that happened to mine, I jiggled the USB cord attached to device - recognized again.

8. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

9. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Plug the "B" mini male connector on the cable into the USB port on the external hard drive and the "A" male connector on the cable into a USB port on the computer instead of going through a hub.

10. joki2400

joki2400 Private E-2

Thanks! I'll try this.
    Are you sure about the internal drive being SATA? I might just buy a new enclosure and plug it in, if that's the case (pun unintended). If it's still not working that will pretty much rule out the controller right?

I'm going to go ahead and order one anyway since they're so cheap.

11. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If the drive was made in the past six years, it'll be SATA.

If the new case/adapter still doesn't work, it points to a problem with the internal drive itself.

12. joki2400

joki2400 Private E-2

And if the problem is with the internal drive? I suppose my only option would be sending it to a data retrieval place, and those guys make you pay through the nose....

The enclosure is on the way, I'll post here if it works or not, for posterity.

13. joki2400

joki2400 Private E-2

I know it's been awhile since my last post.

Solution has been found.

Since all software avenues were explored, I determined it was a hardware issue. Upon replacing the enclosure the drive functioned again.

Examination of the controller board from the previous enclosure showed a misalignment and possible hairline crack.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds