Opensuse 13.1 problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sailor, May 19, 2014.

1. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

I just bought a new rig while keeping my old hard drive and I am now trying to reinstall OS. To be honest, I was pretty foolish (I kept backup in a partition and tried to play with the rest of the drive) and I ended up having a drive as empty as brand new. Luckily there wasn't anything vital in there but I did lose a record of older work and resources.

Here comes the current problem:
    The fresh install of OpenSuse 13.1 64bit won't recognise my internet connection. With 11.3 (the previous live CD I had) it was just plug'n'play. I tried turning on NetworkManager but it didn't change anything. Most of the USB ports are dead too. The two blue ports labeled as USB 3.0 work though.

The mo/bo is a Gigabyte 990xa-ud3 and I found a number of threads online where they report that Ubuntu 64bit fails to recognise USB ports and LAN on this same mo/bo. Is there a known fix for that?

Also, I remember that it was easier to size down an XP installation and install Linux, rather than in reverse order. Is it the same with Win7? Should I do anything beforehand, that will enable me to add Win7 later?

2. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

FIXED: I just had to enable IOMMU support from the BIOS. Do you know if this will have any drawbacks or affect other functionality of the back panel?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds